Chapter 8: Arguments and Potatoes

Mumbo shrieked as he was thrown onto his back and his arms were pinned in the snow. A shiver went down his spine when something cold and metal was pushed against his neck.

"Wait!" He cried

The small God froze.

"Grian please!"

Grian practically jumped off of him, and Mumbo heard his knife clatter against a rock.

"Mumbo?!"

His voice sounded terrified and Mumbo felt his chest tighten.

"Yeah. Um... hi"

Idiot. Stupid. That's the best you've got?!

He heard the snap of fingers and a fire illuminated the situation. Grian was sitting in the snow several feet away, one hand gripping the end of a torch, the other hidden behind his back.

"Mumbo what the hell!"

Grian leapt forwards, his hands shaking as he pulled Mumbo up. He gripped Mumbo's chin gently and lifted his face so he could check his neck for injury.

Mumbo assumed that he was fine when the small God drew back with a sigh.

"Mumbo what the hell is wrong with you?!" Grian repeated, his voice trembling. "I could have hurt you!"

"But... but you didn't, I'm fine"

"That-that's not the point!" He cried, tugging his hood further over his face. "Why are you here?"

"I-I came to deliver the plans for the, uh, record"

"That doesn't answer my question Mumbo Jumbo. Why are you here, stalking me in the dark?"

"Um..."

Mumbo racked his brain, trying to come up with a reason that didn't sound ridiculous.

"You're shivering"

Mumbo blinked and looked down at his shaking figure.

"Yeah... it's cold"

Grian's expression was hard and emotionless as he handed Mumbo the torch and untied the strings of his cloak.

"Wait Grian you don't have to-"

"Shut up"

He pulled the red cloak off of himself, revealing a head of curly blond hair and tattered black clothes. He shoved the cloak into Mumbo's arms and took the torch back.

"Put it on"

"But-"

"It will fit. It's too big for me anyway. Now hurry up unless you want the creepers to get you"

Mumbo opened his mouth to retort but Grian was already walking away, clearly refusing to acknowledge how cold he was even though he was shaking like a leaf.

Letting out a sigh, Mumbo wrapped the red cloak around his shoulders, surprised by how warm it was.

No wonder he wears these things all the time.

He ran to catch up with Grian who was heading towards the opening of his cave.

"This is really warm, thank-"

"You still haven't answered my question Mumbo Jumbo"

"What?"

"Why are you here?" Grian asked, holding aside the vines that blocked the entrance.

"I... well..." Mumbo's mind raced. "If-if you never answer my questions... then... why should I answer yours?"