Chapter 24: Confessions and Realizations

Grian stayed silent as Mumbo removed his shackles, only opening his mouth to cry out as he brought his arms back to his body. They had been stretched by his sides for so long, and his muscles ached at the recoil.

"You're ok, everything's ok." Mumbo whispered softly, supporting the small God's back as he helped him sit up.

Grian bit his lip and tried to ignore the fresh loss of tears that cascaded down his cheeks.

"Everything is not ok." He croaked. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to get you out."

"You know that's not what I mean."

Mumbo sighed shakily and sat down opposite of him, taking his hand as he began to massage his marred wrists from where they had been restrained.

"Ocean helped me get in here, and-"

"Ocean?!" Grian choked, pulling his hand away as his eyes flared with anger. "Are you stupid?! Don't you realize what she's done?!"

"I-"

"She's going to leave us in here forever now! Why would you trust her?!"

"I had no choice!" Mumbo cried, trying to reach back over to take Grian's hand again. "What was I supposed to do? I couldn't get you out myself!"

"Then leave me here! Don't damn yourself like this!"

"How could I leave you?!" The taller God roared, his eyes flashing with anger.

"Because I'm worthless!" Grian shouted back, his voice breaking as the harsh truth washed over him. "They were right to lock me up! And now, when they find out you've freed me, they'll lock you up too!"

"How... dare you speak that way about yourself."

"Excuse-"

"Do you have any idea what kind of hell you left the world in?!" Mumbo yelled, his fists balled as he shook with anger. "You are not worthless! You never were, and don't you dare ever say that again!"

"Or what?!"

"Or... Or I'll..." Mumbo sighed, all fight leaving him as he slumped to the ground. "You just... can't. Please."

Grian eyed him suspiciously. Was this an act? It didn't seem like one, but something was definitely wrong.

"What happened on Earth after I left?" He asked in a quiet voice.

Mumbo rubbed his temples and blew out a puff of air.

"Everything went to shit." He stated bluntly. "The humans have gone mad! They're all fighting and killing each other for the stupidest reasons, and the Primaries refuse to do anything about it or even address the situation! Except for Ocean."

You can never trust a Primary." Grian spat, turning away to hide the left side of his face as self-hatred coiled within his stomach.

"I trust you."

Grian felt his chest constrict painfully at Mumbo's words.

"I... I'm not a Primary. Not anymore."

"Yes, you are," Mumbo urged, searching within his jacket as he spoke. "You have been here since creation. That makes you a Primary no matter what others say. Ah, here."

He brandished Grian's white and black checkered mask.

"I brought this for you. I don't care about your scars, but if it makes you more comfortable, then-"

"You kept it?" Grian whispered, heart pounding in his ears as he brushed his thumb over the cracked clay.

"Of course I did. How else was I... how was I supposed to... I... I missed you."