Chapter 9: The Waiting Game

"I... I don't know if I can do this"

"Well certainly not like that, you aren't even holding it right" Grian said with an eye roll. "Like this"

He pulled the string of his bow taught in demonstration.

"Grian I've-I've never used a bow and arrow before. Do we really need to hunt?"

"Do you want to eat?"

"Well... well yes, but-"

"Then we have to hunt" Grian stated matter of factly. "Besides, you were the one who said and I quote: um, uh, Grian, c-can you please, uh, I mean, um, I would love t-to, uh, see how you, um-"

"I-I do not stutter that much!" Mumbo exclaimed, fighting the urge to shove the smirking God.

"Uh huh, yeah sure. Anyways, if you're too scared, then you don't have to"

Don't take the bait, don't take the bait, don't take the super incredibly obvious bait...

"I'll do it"

Grian grinned mischievously.

"Perfect. Follow me"

He slung a quiver filled with arrows over his shoulder and began to move quickly between the trees, forcing Mumbo to jog to catch up.

They fell into a comfortable silence, strolling side by side while the early morning sun reflected across the snow, making the forest seem as though it were glittering.

Something about the natural beauty of the ground always settled Mumbo's nerves a bit, or at least as much as they could when in Grian's presence.

Why does he make me nervous? I don't think he's dangerous, and he doesn't seem to have any intention of hurting me, so... why?

He glanced sideways at the small God, his dark green cloak and black mask contrasting starkly with the white blanketed trees.

He wished that Grian would take his hood down. Mumbo wanted to see his hair in the full light of day. What he really wanted was for Grian to take off his mask, but the chances of such a miracle were most likely slim to none.

"Enjoying the view Mumbo Jumbo?"

Oh Gods

"S-sorry" he mumbled, quickly looking away.

"Oh it's fine, I know I'm beautiful" Grian said in a way too serious voice, pretending to flip imaginary hair over his shoulder.

Mumbo doubled over in laughter, his previous embarrassment instantly forgotten as Grian cracked a smile and chuckled quietly under his breath.

I wonder what it sounds like when he actually laughs...

Grian hardly smiled as is, and when he did, it was usually a smirk coupled with a chiding remark.

But those few times when he did truly smile, when he thought Mumbo wasn't looking, the rough exterior the small God had built would crumble, if only just a little bit, and Mumbo got a slightly clearer view of the mysterious person inside that did its best to stay hidden.

"Mumbo! Look"

Grian's harsh whisper cut through Mumbo's thoughts as his gaze was directed towards a reindeer a couple yards away. Grian tugged his sleeve so they were kneeling behind a bush together.

"Go on"

"Wha- me??" Mumbo gasped, clutching the bow in his hand so tightly his knuckles turned white.