XIX

Charlotte POV

I stood up from the table in the dining room after I got done eating breakfast and placed my plate in the kitchen sink. While we were eating I could tell what I said hurt him a little but I needed to celebrate her birthday alone, like previous years. It's been 4 years since her murder and I still miss her. The alcohol and sleepless nights, her death still haunts me at times. It's an image I can't get out of my head,

I made my way upstairs to my room and began packing my things. I didn't have much but I don't need a lot if I was going to be gone for 3 to 4 days. I took a quick shower and got dressed before I zipped my bag I grabbed the ring that Henry gave me a while ago and put it in my duffle bag.

Henry was standing at the bottom of the stairs, his face was unreadable. I couldn't tell if he was upset or sad. I grabbed Vanessa's case file off of the floor, he held the door for me as I walked out to my car. I unlocked my car and popped the trunk placing the heavy bags in my trunk. I placed her case file in the back seat of my car, I stood at the driver's door waiting for Henry to say something. I shook my head when he didn't say anything and sat in the driver's seat and started my car. Henry walked over to my side and opened the door, pulling me in a hug.

"I'm going to miss you. Be safe okay?" I nodded and looked up at him,

"Okay, I will."

"Call me when you get back from the meeting with Lancer."

"Okay, I will. You stay safe Henry," I said with a smirk he rolled his eyes,

"I'm always watching my back silly. Okay I know you got to go," He muttered giving me a tight squeeze before letting me go.

"Haha. Goodbye."

"Bye, sweetie. Please be careful, I don't have a good feeling about you going on your own." I shook my head,

"There's nothing to worry about. Promise." I said with a smile trying to ease his worry. But I was worried myself too, I felt uneasy all day but u have to go.

"Okay. Well, call me when you get a chance alright?" He asked as he made his way back to the front door,

"I will," I replied as I got in my car and drove to my next destination.

***

The conversation with Terry Lancer was kinda boring; he wasn't talking about the things I wanted to hear. But my interest peaked when Terry said this,

"Um, recently my employees keep disappearing." He stated with a nervous look,

"Do you know why?" I asked him to shift on his leather couch. It smelled really bad in here like cigarettes and old beer. It wasn't really a nice house, it was more of a trap house, Terry shook his head.

"No, I have no idea but someone is killing my employees." He muttered wiping his forehead,

"When did it start happening?"

"About the past year. I wasn't armed until 6 months ago. So! If you want to apply to The Zoo just stop by the club when you're ready!" He said with a grin. I stood up and he followed suit and shook my hand.

"Thank you, sir. I will be in touch."

"No thank you for contacting me, Claire." He muttered, giving my hand a kiss and letting go of my hand. I gave him a smile.

"No problem Terry I will be in touch," I said making my way to the front door.

"Okay. goodbye Claire, see you soon."

"You too," I replied walking to my car. I glanced at my phone. It was almost 3:30, I got in my car and drove to the old apartment that I got when I and Vanessa lived together for a short while.