PART 19: DOUBLE DIVITS

SANEM POV

What the heck was that?
Emre says 'Ley-laaaa' and we all stare at him. His voice has dipped an octave and risen on the second syllable. Her name a question on his lips and we all start to swoon.
He's practically salivating.
Can looks at my face and his mouth does a strange side lift, his eyebrows furrowing at me.

I look at my mum whose put her hand on my Dad's arm to steady herself. Her eyeballs are jumping between the two of them. They came to scope out the intentions of one Divit man and have ended up with two of them.

My Dad is doing his best to stay in control himself and pull her away and get her to focus on my living conditions. The real reason they came.
I'm trying to distract her by fluffing up the sofa cushions and inviting them to sit down and view the room.

Can is looking at Emre.
Emre is looking at Leyla.
Leyla is looking at Emre.
And JJ's head is about to explode.
This cabin is way too small for this much energy and mate drama.

"Anne, Baba... Shall I make some tea for you."
I busy myself, getting out cups, clattering them on the counter tops, trying to draw attention away from the new lovers.

"Oh, you can. That would be lovely."

"Ley-laaaa, can I get you anything?" "Oh, Tea is good. Thank you. Emre."

She looks down and blushes as his name passes softly over her lips for the first time.

My mum wants to know all about him.

"Emre, do you live in the woods too?"

His head turns and Leyla watches his profile, studying him from his messy quiff down to the way his neck muscles move when he speaks. Like me with Can, she's in love with his voice.

I can feel everything she's feeling.

"Yes, I do. I share a house with Can and then we have rooms at our family house with our father."

"Ah, family is important. Living together. Family meals and sharing stories."
My mum looks at me as she says the words.
"So Sanem, this is very cosy but I'm worried about you being here alone. I never imagined that the wolves would be coming so close."

"Err, well, I'm not on my own. JJ is here. He's always with me and we work out of the office at the main house."
"Uh-huh... JJ, you live here too and work for Can bey? Looking after the wolves?"
She side eyes my Dad.

"Oh yes, Can bey. The wolves. Err, I work in the woods at night and guard the cabin, and Sanem. It's my job."

He starts to cough and I know this is not good. He cannot keep a secret. He's going to blurt something out.
I pass him the plate of biscuits and offer him one. He opens his mouth and I shovel it in. He gobbles it down, crumbs fly everywhere.

My mums looking him up and down, smiling at him as he carries it over to the side table. It shakes and wobbles in his hands and I can see my mum is warming to him.
She helps him guide it down.

Can steps forward now.

"Please let me reassure you that Sanem will never be alone in the cabin or the woods. Myself, my brother, JJ, or one of my family, are with her at all times. Her safety is my responsibility. But as you see we have a good relationship with the wolves and they never cause any trouble."

"So how often do the wolves come right up to you like that. I thought he was going to take a bite out of my Leyla."

JJ clamps his hands over his mouth.

"Give him time."
Can's whispered comment goes unheard and he covers his tracks by answering my mums question.

"New scents, new voices often bring them out to investigate. They are inquisitive, intelligent animals but above all they must be aware of everything that's going on in their territory. To protect their family is their priority."