PART 39: SNOW WHITE

SANEM POV

My head is spinning.
My heart racing along at double the usual speed.
Warm blood pumps around me.
My body suddenly feels so strong but really heavy in the water.

I remember my childhood swimming lessons and the day you had to wear clothes in the life saving class.
They felt so strange.
Once they got waterlogged, they would feel bulky, pulling your limbs down and sticking to your skin.

But I'm nearly there.
I've made it to the other side of the lake.
There's patterned ice crystals forming around the edges and it crunches around me as I break through it.

Lifting up from the water...on all fours, I take my first steps...
I need to stretch out my limbs, and shake off all the water.
Doing that makes me aware of my new form. Out in front of me are two paws, covered in wet, white fur.
It's all over me like a heavy winter coat.

My body has changed.
But inside, my thoughts and feelings are still the same.

I am Sanem.

But now...
I'm a wolf.

The Alpha's she-wolf.

I can hear him

I can hear him.
His large boots pounding on the hard frosty ground. He's running fast. The freezing cold air rushes as he flies past the trees. sending his scent far and wide.

"Sanem, I'm coming for you."

His voice inside my head sounds deeper and rougher.
It makes me shiver.
Another hunt?
My huntsman is coming.

"I need to make sure you're okay. You need to get warm and dry."

I take off running.
Laughing inside, at my speed and agility. Jumping over fallen logs and scrambling up banks.
My paws galloping across the crusted ground. My scent flowing and marking through the glands in my feet, as I fly over streams and rocks.
Marking these woods as mine.

Mine and His.

The excitement builds in me...
When I see higher ground, I gallop up to the top of a ledge and stand and lift my nose to sniff the air...
My white collar ruffles around me.

The moon is truly waning.
Just a slither of bright light on one side as she starts to disappear, into a dark sky where my eyes see the stars twinkling brighter and better than ever.
There's nothing else to do....

I tilt my head back and take a deep breath then expell the hot steam like a volcanic eruption... in a howl, the likes have never been heard from a female of the pack before.