PART 26: PRIMATIVE TRIBES

SANEM POV

Merhiban helps my Mum take the empty plates into the kitchen, and as I nibble on the last biscuit on a plate, I make eye contact with Can again.

Looking around the room, we take in the two families interacting and we smile at one another.
Can is sat next to his father and Nihat and Aziz are chatting away, nodding like two long lost friends.
Leyla is stood with Emre and Umut and JJ and Frankie are...

Sharing the dog treats?
I hiss at him.
"JJ, Stop it."

When Merhiban walks back into the living room, I know that my Mum is alone in the kitchen.
I gather up some dishes, blow a kiss to Can and go and find her.

She's sat at the table, folding over a napkin in her hand.
"Are you okay, Mum?"
"Ah, Sanem. Yes, Come sit with me."
I pull up the chair opposite her.

"You do like them, don't you?"
She nods.
"I do. What's not to like? Can is polite, intelligent, charming, handsome! His family seem very nice, civilised, and they obviously love you like we do."

"So, what's wrong?"
She stops what she's doing and holds my hand.

"It's just a lot to take in. My youngest child. It's all so fast!"

How do I explain the powerful magnetic pull of the Wolf mating process? Our simultaneous dreams about each other.

Well, I can't.

"Remember, when I ran away and left because I couldn't bear the thought of marrying Muzzo and you were cross with me. Baba saying over and over, Why didn't I tell? Why didn't I say? You would have supported me and protected me if you'd known how unhappy I was.
Well, I could have kept this hidden. That I'd fallen in love with Can and that we'd talked about getting married. But in the end... I couldn't.
It did happen fast. So fast. But it feels so right. I'm so happy with him. We are destined to be together, honestly!"
"You do seem suited. You both love animals, stray dogs. The house. That's kind of a big coincidence."
She pats my hand.
"So, a Christmas wedding. Next month! So much to do."
"You are not to worry. I'm going to start a list and you and Merhiban will get together and be very happy sorting out who is doing what. Can has rather a large extended family too. Everyone will help. CAN will be a fantastic husband. I'm in safe hands, really I am."

Mum shifts in the chair.
"Hmm. I've seen those hands. They're very big. Strong."
I laugh and slightly blush. We are sat at The Kitchen table.
"They are also very gentle and tender."
I huff out air, just thinking about those hands and what they did to me earlier on at this very spot. I look over my shoulder, closing my eyes.

When I open them, it's to see him standing in the doorway, looking amused.

"Are you ladies alright in here?"

We both stare at him as he saunters over and takes a large strand of my hair between his fingers, pulling it slowly, from root to tip through his thumb and forefinger, rubbing it sensuously between the pads

He brings his nose down and my eyes up.