01

✵ ✵ ✵

✵ ✵ ✵

*prologue*

Laughter.

And happiness.

That's what I remembered. What I remembered before...it happened.

It was years ago. I was only seven? Eight? At this point the years blurred together so much, that I don't even remember that.

But I do remember every little detail of that day.

From the dimpled smile on his face.

To the way he ran across the street without hesitation to save that damn kitten.

To the way his body lay, broken on the road and how the driver didn't even care, but just drove around him.

And how, just like that, my best friend, my only friend, was gone.

The world was bitter and unfair.

That was reality, so why even try?

For my father.

After my best friend passed and his family and my family went through the grieving process, I still wasn't ready to let go.

I missed his laughter, his smile, his eyes when they exploded with emotion, everything. I wanted it back.

But life decided to hit me with another blow.

At around nine years old, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Terminal.

Me and my father spent a year by her side until she gave up fighting. She died in her sleep two days after my tenth birthday.

And as a ten year old, I was left alone with no friends and no mother. But my father was there.

He was there through it all.

He understood how hard it was to lose someone. I knew it was hard for him, but he worked more to support me, and somehow still managed to set aside time to make sure I was okay.

I didn't want to let him down, so I mastered the art of a fake smile.

He knew something was wrong, but he was still there, trying for me. Which made everything a little better.

So I have to keep trying for him.

When I was really little, my grandmother used to tell these stories about guardian angels. I loved them.

I wonder if I have a guardian angel looking after me.

Maybe that's why I'm still here.

Wherever he is, or she is, I'm grateful.

What am I even thinking? There's no way they actually exist...right?

✵ ✵ ✵