40

✵ ✵ ✵

✵ ✵ ✵

*chapter thirty eight*

Jeongin felt warm air blow on his face as they landed on the islands. The light disappeared and he could look around.

It looked like any beach you'd find on the mortal world, except it was deserted. They were standing on the sandy part by the water, and behind them the island was filled with trees and other plants making up a jungle. It was perfect for Eden's powers, she had a ton of resources available.

"Come on," Cho said, looking behind them, "She's probably at the center of the island."

Jeongin nodded and followed him. Ean and Samantha did the same, everyone remaining quiet.

"We're walking to our deaths, aren't we?" Ean asked, randomly.

"With that attitude?" Cho replied, "Yes, yes we are."

"Two outcomes," Samantha said, "It's better than one?"

No one said anything as they entered the jungle part of the beach.

"Let's not talk about what will happen," Jeongin said, "And instead what we're going to do. Eden doesn't know we're coming, so we have the upper hand. All we have to do is find Minsun's father and bring him back safely."

"What if it was an illusion?" Samantha asked.

"Then Cho gets us out of here as fast as possible," Jeongin said, looking his way.

Cho made eye contact and just nodded. He knew their plan was depending on him.

"Who said you get to make the plan?" Ean huffed, punching a tree for literally no reason.

"No one?" Jeongin replied, "And it's not really much of a plan yet."

"Just shut up," Samantha said, rolling her eyes, "We're not here to fight each other, in case you haven't noticed."

Ean and Jeongin both nodded. Samantha could see the future's possibilities, so not listening to her would be stupid.

"We're getting closer to the center of the island," Cho said, "Stay quiet and hide when you see her."

They kept walking, Jeongin using magic to make their footsteps quiet. Then, he saw them.

Eden had cleared out the center part of the island and was sitting on a chair made of tree roots. Satan, in his full devil form, was kneeling next to her, playing with some black smoke he had created between his hands. Jeongin shuddered when he remembered how many times that smoke had almost killed him in the mortal world.