11

✵ ✵ ✵

✵ ✵ ✵

*chapter ten*

Today, school went by terribly slowly.

I knew Jeongin was watching me the entire time, which made me unusually shaky and jumpy. More than that, I was excited to get out of school and talk to Jeongin more and also spend the whole time (minus the five minutes I set aside for Jeongin) hanging out with my father.

I didn't go to the library for lunch because I didn't want to run into Cho. Instead I sat in one of those random closets that the lock broke off of a long time ago.

One time, the janitor came in and I had to hide behind a bunch of mattresses. Why did a school have mattresses? It was the question of the century but I'd be dead without them.

To be honest, I had no clue why I was avoiding him so much. All he had been to me was kind, and my messed up brain didn't trust him for that.

He'd first approached to help him with his English essay saying something about how I had one of the best grades. Then he'd gone to practically forcing me to have friends. I didn't see the connection.

Wait a second, best English grade?

I had a B in English. Which wasn't terrible, but definitely not one of the best. And when Cho approached me, I had a B in English, so it wasn't like it dropped. Unless my entire class sucked at English, which I knew for a fact it didn't, Cho needed me for different reasons.

"Fuck," I whispered under my breath.

Now I had a reason to avoid him.

What should I do?

I couldn't tell my Dad. Then he'd find out I was lying about my imaginary friends. Worse, he'd feel like he had to stay here and I knew he wanted to go to Japan.

Zanique and Zerzo were too young to be burdened with this, and I didn't want to drag their grandma into this mess either.

Who else do I have?

Should I tell Jeongin? I mean, he is my guardian angel after all. He's supposed to protect me.

"If you get hurt, but I'm following all the rules it's fine. But if you get hurt, and I break the rules to save you, it's bad."

If I told him, it would establish a new connection with him. He would obviously be revealing himself to me. And that would mean he was more loyal to me than he was to God.