10

✵ ✵ ✵

✵ ✵ ✵

*chapter nine*

Not going to lie, I was happy to see Minsun again. I was not so happy to see her about to get smashed by a car.

So I did what guardian angels are supposed to do. I saved her.

The smart thing to do would probably be stop the car, and make it seem like the brakes worked. But I didn't think, and instead I picked up Minsun, who was way too light, and plopped her down on the opposite sidewalk.

The not so smart thing to do.

She obviously realized that she somehow wound up somewhere else. She obviously realized that something had picked her up. And she obviously panicked.

And one thing led to another until I revealed myself to her.

No, no, no this is not good.

"Hold on a second," she said, staring at me, "Jeongin?"

I froze. How on earth did she recognize me? I was way older now. And I had wings.

"No..." I said, "I'm not Jeongin."

"Then what's your name?" she asked, standing up with her hands on her hips.

"S-Seongin," I said, saying the first thing I thought of.

"Really now?" she said.

I nodded, grimacing at my awful lie.

"No," she said, "You were my best friend. You can't lie to me."

"Shoot, I knew this was a bad idea," I said, turning away from her.

"Can you come down to the ground, so we can talk?" she asked, "I have so many questions. I mean, how are you even alive? I saw you get hit, I went to your funeral, I grieved with your family-"

"Stop," I said, I didn't want to know how sad they all were.

"Sorry," she said, "but can we please talk? Or can I at least say thank you for saving my life?"

"This is bad," I said, talking to myself, still turned away from her, "Rule number two was to stay out of sight from mortal."

"What are you talking about?" she asked, "Mortal? Rule number two?"

"Look," I said, turning around.