| 4

| CONSCIENCE |

IT HAD been a week since Spencer had been abducted by MS-13. One full week of torture, sleepless nights, and constant anxiety. The once bright and clever doctor was now a corpse, doing everything he could to survive.

The man still didn't know where they were—or how he would even get out. These were highly trained killers—who definitely outdid his physical abilities and strength. Spencer figured that the only way he would ever make it out of the place was by manipulation—get them to trust him.

But he was an FBI agent, for godsakes. No one trusted him.

And Axel—the sixteen year old boy who Spencer had become close to while he was under their custody—was no where to be found. The man prayed that the boy was still out there, possibly in another one of the gang's sites.

Spencer looked around the glass walls that surrounded his cramped area. He was sitting on a sleeping bag that had been given to him, watching the people that lived next door. It was like prison all over again, but ten times worse. The man buried his hands inside of his palms, letting out a frustrated breath. He needed to prove to them that he could be trusted—that'd be the only way he would ever be getting out of here.

The man saw a familiar face outside of their bunkers, standing up immediately. The dark-haired woman limped across the room, being pushed by someone else. Spencer slid open the glass door of his box, exiting as a loud ringing noise sounded; indicating someone was leaving their room.

Aeyla looked up, her right eye circled with straight purple. Her entire face was swollen—green and pale from hits that she took. Her neck had dried blood on it, and as Spencer neared, he saw several large dots around her neck, indicating the woman had been tased over and over.

"Are you alright?" Spencer asked carefully, watching as she wriggled out of the other man's grip, shooting him a glare as he retreated back to wherever he came from. Aeyla's head turned to look at Spencer, immediately eyeing him up and down.

She said nothing to him, walking coldly past the agent. Spencer bit his lip, more desperate to earn at least someone's trust rather than letting his pride get in the way.

He opened the door for the woman—letting her into her own room. Unlike his and most of the other victims, Aeyla had her own space, which was surprisingly large; although Spencer figured, since everyone around here seemed to obey to the woman like lost puppies—even Jaxton, their leader.

Spencer shut the door behind them, carefully lingering in the doorway and watching her collapse onto the bed, letting out an exhausted sigh.

"Get out." Aeyla suddenly croaked out. "You're not allowed in my room."

"But you're hurt. Aren't you going to get those treated?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows at the painful looking marks.

"They'll wash away." She said carelessly.

"Does it hurt?" Spencer asked, sitting down in a seat across from the bed.

"Get out." Aeyla repeated, sitting up to stare at him.

"No." He replied. "Electric shocks aren't good for your brain, what if your brain suddenly hemorrhages?"

"Then good for me." She replied, her voice soft. Aeyla stared at the ceiling, eyebrows furrowing at the man's presence. Why was he being so kind? Acting like he actually cared about someone like her?