| 30

30. the best i ever had
(18+)

AEYLA finally went back to work after a whopping three months of healing. Three months was most definitely overkill because she'd been fully healed since the second month, but Emily, being the kind and loving boss she was, thought that the woman needed a longer break. It was reasonable, because Aeyla's just joined the team and getting shot within the first month wasn't just physically damaging, but mentally damaging as well.

Spencer had been helping her through all of that when he was home. When they were gone on cases, she'd be at either physical therapy, or one on one counseling with some middle aged woman who probably thought she was insane—
nonetheless, Aeyla eventually pulled herself out of the trauma that getting shot left her with. She was happy again, and for the first time, Aeyla felt like her life was just...perfect.

How could she feel any other way, when she had the most exciting job, the sweetest boyfriend, and a cute little golden doodle named Buddy? That's right, after the first month of pure boredom, Spencer had come back to his apartment, absolutely shocked and terrified to see a tiny puppy running around his home like he owned it.

"Aeyla! What the hell is that?!" Spencer shrieked.

"It's Buddy! Our new dog!" She exclaimed with joy.

Spencer had been mad at Aeyla at first, for just buying a puppy out of nowhere and letting it wander around his apartment—but when Buddy jumped into Spencer's arms, staring up at the man with his cute big eyes—Spencer practically swooned, and Aeyla knew it.

"Dogs are incredibly unhygienic..." He complained, wearily staring down at it. Spencer lifted his hand, slowly petting the puppy who was now laying in his lap.

"I'm not letting him go." Aeyla protested with a huff. "He can stay in my apartment if you really want, but that just means you'll see less of me..." she sang out teasingly, knowing he'd disapprove.

"Fine. He can stay here." Spencer shot back, leaning his head against her shoulder. "I can't let a dog take you away from me." He huffed.

"Too bad." She shrugged, grabbing Buddy and pressing a soft kiss to the dog's head full of curls. Spencer smiled at the adorable sight, his heart swelling with joy. "Admit it, he's the cutest thing you'd ever seen." She said proudly.

"But you're the cutest thing I've ever seen." Spencer grumbled, making her roll her eyes.

"Second cutest thing you'd ever seen." Aeyla shot back.

"Fine. He's the second cutest thing I'd ever seen."

Having to take care of a dog was exhausting, to say the very least. Especially with Aeyla's neck still healing and her just being lazy in general, Spencer had been forced to do all of the dirty work, as in, picking up Buddy's doo and cleaning up his accidents since he wasn't fully potty trained. Too bad the dog was just too cute for Spencer to protest, and of course Aeyla couldn't do anything about her neck, so he was stuck with being the housemaid for the month.

There were moments when Spencer would just realize how close Aeyla and him grew. From taking showers together every night to massaging the others feet—they did everything with the other or for the other out of pure love. Spencer never thought he'd be like this—he'd thought that privacy was going to be a must-have in his relationship, but now he was clinging to Aeyla's side whenever he could.