| 22

AEYLA stirred awake, being greeted by Spencer. Her heart stopped momentarily, her palms sweaty against his bare chest—he probably shedded the layer late at night. Aeyla watched the man's peaceful state, her eyes tracing his sharp and chiseled jawline and high cheekbones. His beautifully structured face showed kindness even when he wasn't conscious. She felt her stomach turn inside out by just looking at him and his angelic face.

This was the first time in a long while that they have slept together. She remembered that night in the bunkers, when Spencer had "accidentally" crawled down to her and held her as she slept, after having a nightmare. The woman smiled softly, remembering how he was there for her then, and how he was there for her now.

Aeyla bit her lip, knowing she didn't deserve it. Which was why she kept her distance, always leaving after they had sex together. Because she didn't want to get close; she didn't want to fall for him, in fear of letting him down. Spencer deserved better—as much as Aeyla wanted him, he deserved so much more than her shitty self. He would never like her truly for who she was, and Aeyla silently accepted that piece of prejudice that she concluded herself.

She smiled, reaching up—her hands softly landed on the side of his face, caressing his cheeks. Aeyla watched his face scrunch up adorably; eyes slowly opening. At the sight of her, they softened, a dazed smile making its way to his features. Aeyla's heart flipped upside down, and an uncontrollable blush crept to her cheeks.

"Morning." He said in a raspy voice, the woman's stomach filling with butterflies at the sound of it.

"This takes me back." Aeyla said.

"To when we were both brutally tortured and could only find comfort in each other's arms? Sure." Spencer said sarcastically, pulling her into his chest. Aeyla's heart jumped as her face pressed against his bare torso, glad that he couldn't see the obvious blush on her cheeks.

He wanted to ask her—why they didn't do this more often, but decided against it. Spencer only treasured the moment as it was right now, knowing that this wasn't something that happened—or would happen—often.

"Feel better?" Spencer asked her.

"Mhm. Duh." Aeyla murmured, smiling. She lifted her head, pressing kisses along his jawline as Spencer let out a breathy chuckle, arms wrapping tightly against her chest as he pulled her on top of him. He groaned when she rolled her hips into his, sensations buzzing throughout his body as his hands laced into her hair.

"Aeyla..." He whined softly, pushing her head away. Spencer looked into her eyes, with were full of playfulness. "We have a flight to catch. No time for this."

Aeyla rolled her eyes. "They haven't come for us yet, so—"

There was suddenly a loud knock outside Spencer's door, making the man shoot her a I-told-you-so look.

"Spencer, we're checking out in 10 minutes!" Matt called outside the door.

"Okay!" Spencer managed to strain out as Aeyla attacked his neck. He groaned loudly, basking in the feeling of her lips against his skin.

"Have you heard from Aeyla?! She isn't answering her door!" Matt yelled again, making Spencer let out an exasperated sigh.

"She's—probably just sleeping!" Spencer lied, making the woman on top of him chuckle softly. "Aeyla, quit it." He whispered to her in a hushed voice.

Aeyla lifted her head, giving him a devilish look before turning her head to the door. "I'll be there!" She called out loudly to Simmons.

Spencer's eyes went wide, the man immediately pushing Aeyla off of him. "What the hell are you doing?" He whispered in a hushed voice.