| 5

- THE TRAINING -

AEYLA WOKE up in her bed, her entire body on fire. She groaned loudly, biting her lip as she shifted her neck on her pillow, attempting to lift it up but failing. The woman gave up, panting as she opened her eyes, staring at the ceiling.

"Aeyla?"

The woman's head swerved to the side of her, and she cried out in pain, grabbing the back of her neck. Her eyes widened seeing the figure across from her room. "Spencer?! What the hell—"

"Shh!!!" He said, rolling over with her chair to cover her mouth with his hand. Aeyla's cheeks went warm with the contact, and she immediately yanked her face away from him, glaring daggers.

The man had woken up in her room, much to his own surprise, slumped over her desk. He was even more shocked remembering that him and Aeyla had talked all night long—she was slowly letting her guard down around him, which was exactly what Spencer needed her to do.

Aeyla scanned his figure, sitting on her chair and wearing a sheepish expression. His hair stuck up in every which way, crazier than usual; Aeyla somehow found herself staring at his locks, being captivated by them. He was so unique to her.

"What-what do I do???" Spencer asked in a hushed voice, his eyes filled with alarm.

"You're not allowed to be in here, they could be looking for you—"

"—I know that!" The man said in a stressed man, staring at her with wide eyes. "What do I do???"

"Okay—wait. Stop." Aeyla said, trying to calm him down. She laid there, contemplating their options.

"Is your neck okay?" He suddenly asked.

"Shut up, Spencer. I need to get you out of here." She said, groaning as she lifted her upper body from the bed. Spencer immediately stood up, grabbing her hand and his free one landing on her back to stabilize her. Aeyla's stomach exploded with butterflies, her eyes widening at the uncalled-for contact. She silently cursed at herself for feeling this way, pulling her body out of his touch.

Spencer saw the defensiveness in her, taking a step back. "Sorry." He said, understanding his boundaries now.

"I'll leave first, and if there's anyone in the halls I'll distract them. You have to be sneaky though, Spencer." Aeyla said, staring painfully at the awkward and undeniably clumsy man.

"You'll...do that for me?" Spencer asked innocently, raising an eyebrow with a soft smile.

"No, I'm doing it for me." She shot back, rolling her eyes and immediately leaving the room, pausing to turn back at Spencer, giving him a warning look.

Aeyla walked down the quiet hallway, spotting Caston patrolling around. The woman snuck up behind him, covering his eyes as he pathetically shrieked.

"Chillax, Caston." The woman deadpanned, spinning him around. Caston's eyebrows furrowed.

"Rude, and rude." He replied, lightly slapping her on the cheek. "How was your sleep, my dear?" Caston teased, leaning down to meet her height.

"Great." Aeyla said blankly, watching Spencer sneak out of her room with a painful look in her eyes. The man looked around, flashing her an awkward thumbs up before bolting off. She stifled a laugh, immediately wiping it off of her face. She never laughed.

"What's so funny?" Caston asked, an arm sneaking around her waist.

"You." She said flirtatiously, leaning into his face before pulling back.