| 12

| BETRAYAL & REDEMPTION |

"LAST night was amazing, Aeyla."

Aeyla turned around, her face blank as she looked at Jaxton, wearing a cocky smirk as he made his way to her. Her eyebrows furrowed—she felt bad for the man—because Aeyla didn't feel the same. It wasn't amazing. It wasn't amazing anymore after this morning.

"Yeah..." She muttered softly, turning back and busying herself to avoid full on conversation. "Sorry about that."

"Why would you be sorry?" He asked.

"Because I had a really bad nightmare and used you to make forget about it."

"I'm okay with that." Jaxton replied, making the woman feel ten times worse.

"You shouldn't be, Jaxton." Aeyla said softly.

"It's okay."

She said nothing, clenching her jaw shut tight.

"There's a ruckus because some dude consumed poison down in the cafeteria." A man walked up to the two, his eyebrows furrowed.

Aeyla's eyebrow raised. "Who?"

"I dunno."

"Just let them be." Jaxton replied carelessly, making Aeyla's eyes widen.

"No sir—someone's trying to resuscitate him." The man said.

"I'll take care of it." Aeyla said, before Jaxton could take a single step forwards. She smiled softly at the man and he nodded, letting her be. Aeyla followed the man into the cafeteria, seeing two figures on the ground.

"Everyone, please leave." Aeyla commanded to the crowd of members forming around the two.  She shot them an intimidating look, and the crowd soon dispersed.

She neared the man laying on the ground, her eyes widening when they landed on the person who was performing CPR on him. It was Spencer.

Aeyla gulped, walking towards the couple. She realized that the non-responsive man laying on the ground was Kaden, the neighbor Spencer mentioned to her once.

"Kaden?" She asked, bending down as Spencer's head shot up, eyes narrowing when they landed on her. Aeyla shook her head. "Keep going." She said, and the man obliged, ignoring her presence. "Kaden, can you hear me??" Aeyla asked, feeling around for his pulse. It was there, but faint.

"He-he passed out when he ate. Someone poisoned him." Spencer said in a strained voice, getting tired from the CPR.

Aeyla's jaw clenched, remembering Jaxton's reaction. Knowing him, he probably wanted Kaden gone since he was one of the weaker members. Her stomach churned, feeling sick at the thought of that man and how close she was getting to the psychopath.

"Aeyla, Spencer, step away from Kaden." A low voice commanded behind them. Aeyla turned around, telling Spencer to continue as she stood up, being greeted by Caston.

"Why do you guys want him dead?" She asked, her eyebrows furrowing deeply.

"He's useless here. A waste of resources—you know that, darling." Caston said arrogantly, scoffing.

"He's a human being. You can just kill him off when you don't need him anymore." Aeyla shot back in a hard voice.

"Tell FBI boy to stop right now, or I will." Caston said, his hand reaching behind him to pull out a gun.

"No." Aeyla shot back, turning to Spencer. "Keep going."

"Aeyla." Caston called out, and Aeyla turned around to see a gun pointed straight at her face.