| 15

| THE PATH TO LIVE |

    SPENCER was shoved into a seat, grimacing at the feeling of the cold metal of the gun barrel pressed tightly against his temple. He gulped, closing his eyes and regaining his breath. He could do this. It was going to be okay.

Spencer calculated everything—the amount of time it would take for him to enter the emergency alert he had set up with Garcia, and the amount of time it would take for his team to arrive. The amount of time it would take for MS-13 to go for their next victim, and the amount of time it would take for the BAU to hunt them down before anymore lives were taken. There were so many things so consider in this situation that even someone with a large brain like his couldn't sort through it all.

A drop of sweat ran down his temple, although Spencer wasn't hot at all. In fact, he was cold—freezing—making the anxiety inside of him ten times more severe.

"I will kill you and Aeyla if I see even the slip of a finger." Jaxton threatened, leaning down. "Now do it, agent."

Spencer paused, typing the triple-security codes into the laptop, watching as the WitSec database popped up. "What do you want me to do?" He scanned the keyboard, wondering how quickly he could type in the code without Jaxton knowing. The man needed a distraction that lasted at least 2.5 seconds for him to type it in.

"Elizabeth Garfield." Jaxton said, suddenly turning around when the door opened.

Now is my chance. Spencer drew in a quick breath, pressing the set of keys that laid in his memory—it would eventually notify Garcia his location. His fingers ran over the set of numbers and the set of letters with lightening speed, the man not even breathing out of concentration. When Spencer finished, he paused, turning to see Jaxton just turning back to him. A relieved sigh escaped the agent's lips.

He prayed that he didn't make a mistake in the code; because if he did, this would be the end for him—Spencer wouldn't be getting out of here. He gulped hard, hoping that Garcia was yelling at the top of her lungs to the team by now, and that they were already on their way.

Because Spencer was sure that they'd kill him after this—because the endgame was close, and this was most likely the last step.

"Did you not hear me? I said Elizabeth Garfield." Jaxton growled, shoving the gun in Spencer's face.

"Sorry. The torture made me go partly deaf." Spencer lied.

"You need to start learning that I didn't ask." Jaxton said.

Spencer typed in the woman's name, pretending that he couldn't find the keys to stall a little more.

"Do you not know how to type, agent? Hurry up." Jaxton ordered.

"Okay! I-I have a thing with my eyes—" Spencer started, but closed his mouth when Jaxton whacked him with his pistol.

"I didn't ask!" He snapped.

Spencer bit on his lip, finishing the search. The screen showed the woman's personal information, and most importantly, where she was located. Jaxton looked at the man who had entered the room, telling him to write it down.

"Garvin Holden." He said, and Spencer continued typing.

With each name the gang leader listed, Spencer felt a part of him being slowly eaten up with guilt. If these people died because of him—Spencer would never be able to forgive himself. He needed the BAU to come—and quickly.

When Jaxton was finished, he left the room, two men entering the same room as Spencer; the man buried his face in his hands, negative emotions taking over.