| 18

18. life can be good too

       "SO, these lacerations come from a
small, thin bladed tool?" Luke Alvez asked, crouching down to the body; Aeyla followed, squinting at the thin cuts littered around the victims face, chest, and arms.

"They're at a weird angle, don't you think?" Aeyla asked the man, furrowing her eyebrows at the ridiculously straight and horizontal cuts. "Usually, in an attack like this, a bladed tool would cause messy and jagged strokes; and these cuts look way too controlled for that."

"Agreed. Although, if they were post-mortem, it'd make a lot more sense."

"You're right." Aeyla said, squinting at the familiarity of them. "Oh!" She exclaimed in realization, nearly losing balance and falling over the corpse. These heeled boots that Spencer had helped pick out for her were not cutting it.

"What?" Alvez asked, grinning at the woman's silliness.

"I've seen something like this, it's a bladed ring." She said quickly. "In MS-13, it was used in torture because the cuts it creates aren't deep enough to bleed a lot, but still hurt. Like...like—oh! Like getting a papercut."

"Hm..." Alvez muttered, feeling slightly guilty because obviously the woman had gone through it before. "A ring. So, it's most likely a woman..."

"I would think so, since the attack shows petty aggression instead of rage." She said, nodding towards the body.

"Great. Let's get back to the team."

;

"The woman we're looking for is in her mid 20s to 30s. She's young, beautiful, and seductive." Emily Prentiss told the room full of police officers and SWAT members.

"She's narcissistic, and overly confident in herself." Matt said.

Aeyla chewed on her lip, wanting to speak up. There was a small pause, and the woman lifted herself from the desk, standing up straight as slight anxiety rushed through her. "She's, uh...most likely very cocky around others, always boasting about her achievements, although they aren't actually all too impressive once you think about it. She doesn't like working in groups, and when she does—she'll belittle and look down on her team, doing everything by herself. She's also a control freak. And likes to, uh..." The woman's voice trailed off, what she was planning to say next immediately flying out of her head.

"She likes to be the dominant one in her relationships." Spencer added, Aeyla letting out a relieved breath and flashing him a tight-lipped smile. "Although, this is a woman who also insists on being continuously peppered with constant love and attention. She's a little possessive over her partners. The victims she's going after resemble her father, who was killed when she was young. This isn't a mission-orientated killer, and she will not stop." He said, as Aeyla stared at him with admiration.

"She shoots her vics in the head once, then cuts them using a bladed ring post-mortem. This means she's very angry; but still somewhat still sympathetic for her the victims, always putting a blanket or cloth over their body." Tara Lewis said.

"She's good at deceiving others. Trust no one out there; because she's good at blending into the crowds." Alvez finished, their team nodding at the other. "Thanks, guys."

Officers filed out of the office slowly, and Aeyla turned to Spencer, smiling sheepishly. "Thanks."

"Don't worry about it." He said, squeezing her shoulder once before walking past her. Aeyla blushed, watching the man go; she smiled, feeling a little fluttery inside with emotions.