| 17

17. new beginnings

"AEYLA Grimes, you are aware
that you were an official member of MS-13, a high-crime organization that specializes in assassinations, correct?" The judge asked, peering at the woman standing in the courtroom through her glasses. "A number of murders have been linked to your group, and yet you plead innocent of all these murders?"

"Yes, your honor." Aeyla replied, fidgeting with her hands behind her back.

"With all due respect, your honor, Aeyla Grimes was abducted by the gang at age 15; she had been brainwashed and tortured for years. Anything and everything she has done in that gang was solely out of her control—if she wanted to stay alive, that is." Aaron Hotcher said, standing up from his seat. "Jaxon Meyers claimed he'd kill her if she didn't, as he did with all the other members as well."

Aeyla gulped hard, relief washing over her that the old FBI agent and lawyer was so willing to help her out, as a result of the BAU's/Spencer's request for him to do so.

"In addition, we have several sources and witnesses that claim Aeyla Grimes did many things to help others in the gang, such as feigning off high-position members when SSA Reid was delivering CPR to Kaden Crankoff, who was poisoned under Jaxton Meyers' orders." Hotch said, his eye contact with the judge unwavering.

"So, former agent Hotchner, what kind of action are you suggesting that I take?" The judge asked.

"Well, for one, all charges of assistance in murder and drug-distribution will be lifted from her. Aeyla Grimes will start a new life in D.C., being provided with all necessary resources to do so; she is a witness, so she will also be put under the BAU's security. Furthermore, my old unit requests that Aeyla Grimes joins the BAU." He listed off, and Aeyla felt her heart pound heavily in her chest with anticipation. She was so close; she could have that life that she had always wanted, the life she never had.

"You are requesting that a former gang member join the FBI?" She asked conspicuously, raising her eyebrows.

"Yes, your honor. She is highly physically trained, as well as mentally trained as well. Aeyla Grimes is a strong individual; I have no doubt that she will excel in the BAU and benefit us. Also, if anyone were to watch over the woman to make sure she's to be responsible, the BAU would provide that strongly." Hotchner said.

The judge sat there, thinking as her eyes scanned over Aeyla Grimes, who immediately stood up straight, gulping nervously. "All charges will be removed from Aeyla Grimes' record." The woman said, and immediately all the tension in the room was lifted.

She let out a breath, her shoulders relaxing immensely; Aeyla was filled with pure joy, eager to smile and turn around to the BAU, who stood with her til the end.

"And she will be let into the FBI as long as it's reviewed by your director and if she meets all the requirements, including all tests and training. She is to be monitored at all times for the first three months by one of your agents, Hotchner."

"Thank you, your honor." Aeyla breathed out, heart racing with excitement as she turned to Aaron Hotchner, grinning widely.

"This court is adjourned. Thank you." The judge said, standing up and quickly leaving. The moment she stepped out, Aeyla shrieked with happiness, crushing Aaron Hotchner in a bone-crushing hug. The man stumbled back, smiling sheepishly at the girl.

"Holy cow. Thank you, sir. Thank you." Aeyla repeated over and over again as the BAU met her at the front of the room.

One by one, they all greeted her with firm handshakes and supportive smiles—and hugs (although it was only Penelope Garcia)—Aeyla couldn't stop smiling. Never in her entire life—has she ever felt so appreciated, so loved by so many people. They fought for her, and nothing meant more to the woman than them saying she was worth it.