| 8

- DEVIANCE -

"BUT REALLY, you're okay, right?" Aeyla asked quietly as Spencer began to lay down on her bed, letting out a painful groan. She rolled her eyes, scoffing at his polished manners. "Yeah sure, make yourself at home."

"Thanks." He grumbled in a strained voice from using his upper body, snuggling underneath her blanket and then giving her a cute smile. "And yeah, I'm fine."

"I'm sorry." She said, noticing his constant grimaces. "He beat you up because of me."

"No, he beat me up because he's a sadistic psychopath." Spencer deadpanned, grateful that she was apologizing nonetheless.

"He's also jealous."

"Of me? Why?"

"Because I actually enjoy talking to you, unlike I do with him." Aeyla said, her eyes twinkling. Spencer softly smiled at her, warmth blooming in his chest and heart.

"I'm glad." He said, feeling reassured. Spencer's eyebrows slightly furrowed, his bottom lip jutting out as he thought.

"What?" She asked him.

"Hm?"

"You have that look on your face."

Spencer only softly smiled. "I don't know. Just...happy. That you feel that way. But...before I came, who did you have? To talk to, I mean?"

Aeyla's smiled soon faded, and she dipped her head down, suddenly interested in her fingernails.

"You don't have to tell me." He said, sensing her discomfort.

She nodded, smiling lightly at his understanding. Aeyla didn't want to mention Axel—afraid that she would somehow lose her temper and end up snapping at Spencer. It wasn't his fault at all—but Aeyla sure wanted to make it that way. She wanted to blame someone for his death, anyone. And she knew she couldn't blame MS-13.

Aeyla was afraid to defy them.

"Maybe another time." She replied.

"Okay." He told her, staring at her with a solemn look in his eyes. Spencer wanted to understand her more, but he couldn't if she refused to confide in him. He wanted to help her; he saw the emotional pain the girl had from the look in her eyes, and it was something Spencer felt like only he could see behind the tough facade.

Yet, although he knew nothing about the mysterious woman sitting in front of him, Spencer felt like he knew everything about her at the same time. The way she had put up her guard so persistently around him, and now slowly letting it down—it made Spencer feel special. Like he was the only one who understood her, without even understanding her.

But that was only a theory—Spencer had no clue what was really going on in that mind of hers. All he could see was her cold and blank expression; keeping in mind about how breathtakingly beautiful she was—even without an equally stunning smile on her face.

"Take a picture while you're at it, will you?" Aeyla joked, smirking at him when she realized how deeply he was staring.

"I would, but they took my phone away." Spencer said back with a teasing smile, wiping the smirk off of her face. She blushed, narrowing her eyes at him as she took another big bite out of her sandwich.

"What's the endgame?" He suddenly asked, recalling what she had told him about the training before.

Aeyla shook her head. "I don't know...because they don't tell me that kind of stuff. All I know is that they're separating us weak and strong to make it happen. It's...going to be big."