Chapter Five - Nightmares

Amity's P.O.V

I watched as my father pushed Luz out of the front door and grabbed his pocket knife from his jeans. My body was frozen just about five feet away from them and no matter how badly I wanted to move, I couldn't. I was stuck in this spot. Luz looked around frantically, hoping to run and escape from my terrible father. The knife glinted in his hand as he approached Luz. He grabbed Luz's sweatshirt by the hood and put the knife right against her neck.

"You better stay away from Amity, you disgusting faggot." My father's words dripped like venom, seeping into my bones, making me shudder. Luz was trying so hard to push him away but his grip was too tight.

"Dad, stop hurting her! Let her go, please." I pleaded with tears running down my face. He grinned maliciously and gave a chuckle, I knew fully well that he would kill Luz right now.

"We can't afford you to give yourself away to this idiot." He pressed the knife harder against her neck and I screamed out for him to stop but it was too late. The knife slid across and pure blackness consumed my vision.

I jerked up in bed, panting from the terrible nightmare. My whole body was shaking and sweating, feeling all the fear that I felt in my dream. That was just a nightmare. A part of me is scared that it was real and Luz really was dead, but it's not possible, I would've done something other than just stand there and watch it all happen.

It was almost time for school so I got out of bed and got ready. I put on my usual black leather jacket to cover the bruises from yesterday, and picked out random clothes. I quickly combed through my green hair and pulled back the hair that's in front. For some reason I've always liked this hairstyle, it's been this way since I was friends with Luz. I had to make sure she was okay!

"Amity, hurry up and get to school!" My mother screamed up the stairs, warning me that if I didn't leave soon there would be consequences. What else is new?

"Coming!" I yelled back, rushing to get my books in my backpack. Once everything was packed, I ran down the steps and out the door, not even looking at my parents. After what happened last night, I never want to speak to them again.

I groaned in annoyance as I saw that it was past time for the bus to get here. I started running towards the school, hoping to get there in time and not suffer anymore consequences. My feet slapped on the sidewalk as I pushed myself to keep running. I haven't ran in a long time, sure I was strong but my running expertise was terrible.

I saw the school building and started running a little faster, earning a burning pain in my calf. I let out a strained yelp and stopped running. The entrance to the school was near so it's okay to walk now, I needed to walk now. Someone pushed me aside as they ran into the school, what's up with this school and pushing people?

My leg was hurting badly as I stepped into Hexside High. Thankfully the bell hadn't rang yet, so I still have time to get to my first class. I needed to make sure that Luz was okay, that what I saw was just a horrific nightmare. So I quickly walked to where my class was and almost cried out in relief to see that Luz was alive. She was just ahead of me, going to the same class I was!

"Oh my gosh Luz, you're okay!" Without thinking I ran up to her and wrapped my arms around her. I felt her get stiff, not realizing what I had just done. She harshly pushed me away and gave me a stern glare, and that's when it hit me, what did I just do?

"Are you kidding me Amity?" Her voice was furious, her expression was furious, and I felt terrible. I told her that I would stay away and leave her alone. Not even a day later and I'm already breaking that promise.