Chapter Nine - Be Careful

Luz's P.O.V

People have told me that I would find the love of my life one day and when I did, I would know it. So far I've thought Amity was the one and now I'm thinking maybe Zander is. After all the pain that Amity has put me through, I've decided to grant her wish for me to stay away from her. It would take some time to heal but I didn't want to be friends with someone who hates me.

It's been about a week since all of this crazy crap has gone down. Amity barely eats and constantly glances at me. That used to confuse me but now that I know she hates me, it doesn't bother me. Now that I have Zander and Willow by my side, I feel like I can get through anything. Willow has been super supportive and pushed me to become more of myself. Zander has just helped me become happier, he's helped me smile and laugh. Yes, I think about Amity sometimes and some nights I have broken down crying but that'll get better over time, I hope.

"Hey Luz! How are you doing?" Willow hugged me like she does everyday, squeezing me tightly. Her hugs were honestly the best, they were full of love and comfort.

"I'm good, I was on the phone with Zander almost all night. How are you?" Willow stopped in the hall, turning to me with a shocked expression. I smile out of confusion and wait for an explanation, "Why are we stopped in the middle of the hall?"

"Do you like Zander?" My whole body went frozen and I felt my face heat up. No words would come out but my mouth was moving, my hands were moving in all different ways. Her face grew more shocked but I finally answered her burning question.

"I mean, not in that way, no." I laugh nervously, hoping that she doesn't somehow read my mind screaming that I do like him. I know it's crazy that I have developed feelings for someone I met not even a week ago, but there was just something about him that drew me in.

"Oh you totally like him Luz! Your face is red and not to mention how long it took for you to answer." We continued walking down the hall as I began to grow awkward. How did she know?

"No, ew, I don't like Zander that way." The bell rang for one minute until class, to which I used as an excuse to get away from this conversation. Willow just laughed and told me that we'll continue this discussion.

Seeing Amity in my first class always made mixed emotions come swirling back. It was mostly sadness because I wish that I could take every moment we had together back and delete it from my memory. Too bad memories are meant to stay in your head.

"Hey loser, so you moved onto Willow, huh?" Andrea's annoying voice cut into the silence but all I did was roll my eyes.

"Yeah, first you start to talk to Amity in hopes that you'll get together and then you're trying to hook up with Willow? That's low, even for me." I kept my head forward, not daring to look at the two women who were being annoying jerks. Can't Ember and Andrea just step off and mind their own business?

"Not gonna talk huh, probably because you know we're right. I bet you're proud of the slut you've become." Andrea giggled, pushing my head, making me almost hit my desk.

"Andrea, Ember, get in your seats. Class is starting." Thankfully the teacher came in before things could get worse than they already were. I don't understand what the problem was with Ember and Andrea. Especially since Andrea is my cousin, shouldn't we be getting along?

I felt like someone was staring at me, their eyes burning into my skin. I looked to the left of me and saw Amity's eyes were locked onto mine. She was biting her lip, quickly ripping her eyes away from me when I caught her staring. She's glanced at me from time to time but now it's turned into staring. Couldn't she just deal with the consequences of her actions, she should be moving forward.