Chapter Ten - How We Met

Amity's P.O.V

My life has completely crumbled. To be honest, every morning I've thought about skipping school and staying locked up in my room. My parents have forced me to cut all connections with Luz, they told me to somehow get her out of my life. Telling her that she's annoying and that I hate her was one of the most painful things I've ever done. I wanted to keep talking to Luz and hopefully become friends again but my father ruined all of that. I didn't have a choice either, if I didn't push her away my father would hurt her, and I didn't want that. Not after the nightmare I had.

Speaking of, I have nightmares every night now. Most of them are about Luz. Someone kills her, hurts her, or she disappears with no explanation and each time they feel so real. I also had a nightmare that Luz ended up dating Zander, that one is real though. Everyone has seen them kissing and holding hands like a disgusting couple. Yes, I'm jealous and I hate Zander for stealing Luz's heart.

For the longest time I wanted to be the one that stole Luz's heart. I wanted to be the one that ended up dating her. Ever since we met, I felt some connection between us and it hasn't gone away. Call me crazy, stupid, whatever, that feeling was real and I wish she felt the same. I still remember the day we met and the day that I saved her from getting hurt, I wonder if she remembers it.

-Five years ago-

I turned the corner of the school, trying to find my way around this school. It was my first week here and I still didn't understand where all the classes were and what not. The principal didn't give me a person to guide me through here, so I'm left alone to figure it all out. Being twelve years old and wandering around school halls is harder than it sounds. Sure, I could just ask someone in this hall but my social anxiety was keeping me from doing so.

"Oh look, it's the Luzer." I heard the most annoying laughter from afar and cringed at the sound of it. I looked around to see a brown haired girl walk up to another girl who looked dominican.

"Andrea, just please leave me alone, I don't feel like dealing with your crap." The dominican girl snapped at the girl named Andrea. I stayed away but continued to watch as Andrea pushed the other girl against the locker. I felt anger rise up and I wanted to do something but I was terrified to do so.

"Shut up Luz, you don't even know how to defend yourself." Andrea punched the girls stomach and I couldn't stay hidden anymore. I just had to stand up for this girl.

"Hey! I don't know who you are but you should leave her alone!" Andrea looked over and gave me a snarky laugh. The other girl, Luz, looked at me like I was crazy for standing up to Andrea. I think I'm crazy for doing so too.

"Oh, you're that new girl. I suggest you stay away from this weirdo because she's annoying and disgusting." A part of me wanted to walk away and leave the two of them to fight or something, but I couldn't. I don't know why but something inside of me wanted to stand up for this random girl.

"How about you stop being so mean?" I walked up to Luz, who was holding her stomach in pain from the punch. I, for some reason, grabbed her hand and just ran away from the mean girl. We stopped once we got near a classroom, I was panting hard from running but Luz didn't seem fazed at all.

"How are you not dying right now from running all that way?" She looked over at me and giggled. Something about her made me smile in a different way and I loved it.

"Well, I don't get tired easily from running I guess. I'm not one hundred percent sure." I laughed with her and she unexpectedly pulled me into a hug. Normally I would push away from hugs but I didn't, and I don't know why.

"What was that for, not that you can't hug me." I asked once she pulled away. Her brown eyes sparkled with pure happiness and I wish I had that spark. She seemed so optimistic.