Chapter Eight - Misunderstanding

Luz's P.O.V

I rushed through the halls as I searched and searched for Amity. After what happened yesterday, I needed to make sure she's safe. She never answered my text asking if she was okay, not even a small response. Maybe she just fell asleep and hasn't seen it yet, but what if there's something more serious.

My eye caught something green which looked similar to Amity's hair. I ran towards the green, hoping for dear life that it was her. To my disappointment, it was just another girl with bright green hair. God, I just wanted to know where she was! I just wanted to know that she was safe, and away from her father.

"Looking for someone, Luz? If it's me, I'm right here." His voice seemed to calm me down a bit, distracting me from the immense worry I was in. Zander's unique eyes stared deeply into mine, I swear he had some magic spell over me that caused my body to go frozen.

"I'm looking for Amity, have you seen her anywhere?" He backed up a bit at my panicked state. I could feel my mind about to spiral, my heart was beating super fast, and my hands were shaking violently.

"Is she that girl that was creeping on us yesterday, and you chased after her?" He scratched the back of his head, looking confused as to why I was looking for her.

"That was a misunderstanding, I'm still not fully sure what that was about but it doesn't matter. I need to make sure she's okay!" Zander grabbed my hands and steadied my shaking body.

"Luz, honey, calm down. You're shaking like a leaf and your heart is beating abnormally fast." He put his hand where my heart was and felt how fast it was beating.

"I'm sorry, my mind is just frazzled. I didn't even say hello to you or ask how you're doing. I'm a terrible friend." There I was, rambling again. Everyone that knew me well, knows that I ramble a lot.

"Don't apologize, and you're not a bad friend. First class is about to start so why don't you head that way and focus on finding Amity later." He gave me a tight hug before heading a different direction. He's right, I need to get to class and worry about Amity later. I will be fine.

Wrong, I wasn't fine. My mind constantly worried about Amity. She wasn't in her first period and that freaked me out even more. I couldn't stop my heart from beating fast and my hands from shaking. I've worried about Amity before, but not like this. Why was I so worried about her?

I kept looking at my phone to see if maybe she texted me or called me. I kept looking around the halls to see if I missed her. Most of all, I kept having panic attacks from worrying about her. I was probably being dramatic and crazy but for some reason, I felt that something bad happened. Something kept her from coming to school today, and it wasn't what I know about.

"Your name is Luz, right?" I heard someone approach behind me. I turned around in my seat to see Willow, her eyes weren't totally meeting mine due to her shyness.

"Yeah, and you're Willow, right?" She sat her tray down next to mine and smiled at me. My hands were still shaking and I couldn't find any way to stop them.

"Yes. Zander's worried about you, he says you were acting crazy this morning." I felt my head snap her way. He said I was acting crazy?

"Oh, how nice to know that my friend called me crazy." Willow took a bite of the mashed potatoes, looking over at my untouched food. Was it stupid that I was kind of hurt that Zander called me crazy?

"Are you not gonna eat your food?" Willow pointed to my tray, seeing how I haven't taken a single bite of it.

"I'm not hungry." That was the truth. My stomach feels sick and all because of how worried I am about Amity. Even if she just said one word to me, that'd make everything okay.