Chapter 1

Chapter One:

A boring day for sitting at home, idly scrolling through the suggestion pages on Insta. My thumb swipes furiously across the screen, trying to get through of all the rando's I have little to no interest in viewing. I have nothing to do on this extremely dull day. Sundays have always been a struggle with me. At most, I have sitting on my phone, silently judging people for their better time-wasting skills. 

I sigh, about to turn my screen off, before something catches my eyes. A new notification pings, sliding down from the top of my phone. A suggestion for someone 'I may know'

When do I ever know these people though...

With a short breath, I click the bubble and it takes me to a newly created account. The profile picture is a familiar face, much to my surprise. A clear view of Ava, my cousin from another state. 

Since when does Ava have an Insta? 

I hum a note under my breath and follow her. Taking access into my own hands, I take a peek at her feed. Only one picture shows up on her profile. A lesser qualified picture - of her in a see-through crop top, bra clearly visible. I sigh, shaking my head. She's better than this, which only raises a few more concerns about the sudden account - not to mention attempted thirst trap.

 Looks like this pic was posted a few minutes ago.

I shrug it off for now and click the screen away on my phone. 

My head leans further back on the couch, lazing away, as I debate getting up to eat. The hot afternoon climate makes me repel the very idea of getting up, but the guttural hunger in my stomach keeps bouncing the thought back to me. Maybe I should after all... 

With a great groan, I lift myself up off the couch. The hot summer air having peeled me to the leather material of the couch, creating an unpleasant sticking noise as I come off of it. I shuffle into the kitchen and open the refrigerator, the chill of cool air inside feeling nice on my face. My eyes scan each individual shelf.

What looks good, what looks good...? The urge to do as minimal as possible is there, right there. Unless I can find anything worthy and savory to overcome my laziness, it looks like quick soup today. A glance over at the counter and I remember that I need to do some shopping hits me in the head. I sigh.

Sparky Vampire Cereal, it is then.

I could probably eat healthier. . . Later.

Quick and easy, and the last of the milk. Not that anyone will care-- since I live alone. So long as it's not spoiled, I'll be fine for the rest of today. A few crunches into the cereal, I hear my phone ping again from in the living room.

I manage to ignore it for now, continuing the journey of cereal. However, as the noise repeats itself once more, then twice, and on and on again, I wonder if the world may be ending. My face pinched into a firm scowl, I put the spoon in the bowl and fetch my phone. As the screen lights up, I find that every notification is from Insta. More on the nose, Ava's Insta. 

🔔 ||24 new posts from AXVXA|| 🔔

Ava??
Please. Don't tell me that she's posting stuff about her food. That's over-seen and over-shared. Anywhere. Everywhere. I rub my nose as I unlock my phone, opening the app to view what all the hubbub is about.  

What I see makes my heart fall, and head spin with confusion. 

Multiple men in her apartment, dressed in heavy fantasy costumes that seem like more quality than she can produce on her own. Questions raise high and through the roof. Left and right, more and more thoughts about her account confuse me. Who are these guys? Why are they in her apartment? How does Ava know them? Are they friends, or is this some sort of business advent?