Chapter 18

***Karen's POV***

The whole show, I could see Lainey and Devin on the side of the stage. It distracted me at first, but then I got over it. I didn't feel like she did it on purpose, but I couldn't get it out of my head. I was off the whole show, and Kimberly even had to take lead on 'Better Man' because of how emotional I was. I remembered hearing that Lainey listened to that song when she was just coming out of the hospital. It had been the longest couple of days, and longest tour and we were only at our fourth stop. We still had months to go. I truly didn't see Lainey and I talking any time soon either, and that broke my heart.

After the show, I took my time getting out of my clothes and stuff. The less time I had to be at the hotel, the better. I was almost done when I heard a knock. Kimberly came in.

"I figured I'd find you here" She says and sits down on the couch. I looked at her through the mirror.

"I can't stand to be in that hotel room" I say. "Jimi tells me just to go talk to her, and part of me wants too, but I...I just can't yet" I say.

"They seem to be in love" She replies. "I saw them dancing side stage tonight. You can't deny that he loves her".

"No. I'm not denying it either. He obviously does, and she loves him. I'm just hurt she felt she had to keep it from me" I say.

"I know. And I'm sorry I helped her. I just know she needed to tell you herself" She replies. I nod.

"Do you remember when Jimi and I were like that? We went against everything everyone told us? Now, look where we are" I say. She smiles.

"She didn't fall to far away from you" She says.

"She sure didn't" I say. She stood up.

"Come on. Let's go on and get some rest. We got another show tomrrow" She says. I nod and stand up. I could always count on Kimberly for anything, and part of me is kinda glad she checked up on me tonight.

***Lainey's POV***

I woke up and immediately went to breakfast with Devin across the street at a little cafe. It was perfect. He was perfect.

"So, am I allowed to sing that song for you again tonight?" He asks. I smiled.

"If you want too" I say. He smiled.

"You just wait until valentines day, I've got a better surprise" He says. I raise an eyebrow.

"Oh, really?" I ask. He nods. "Well, only a couple more weeks until then".

"I know. I'm counting down the days" He says.

"I am too now" I say. He smiled at me and fed me a bite of his pancake.

"I love you so much" He says.

"I love you too. More than anything" I say.

"Good. Because, I want this to be forever" He says.

"Devin Dawson, are you offering your hand in marriage?" I ask.

"I will one day. You can count on that" He says. I laughed.

"Better get my daddy's permission" I say.

"Well, no. I'll have to get Karen's" He jokes. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Hers too" I joke with him. He laughed as we finished our breakfast. I wanted to get back to the hotel to change and take a shower before we went to the venue today. Show days were horrible because we practically had no time to do anything else. I kissed Devin goodbye before going into the hotel. He had press, so was leaving early. As I was walking in, someone stopped me. A paparazzi I assumed.

"You're dating Devin Dawson? What's your name?".

"No comment" I say and try to get in the building. They followed.

"Mystery Woman in LA. What a good headline in Nasvhille". I kept walking, but they got infront of me and took pictures. Soon, a swarm of them were around me. I didn't know why they were doing this to me at 8AM, but I guess this was the business. I was almost in tears when I felt someone grab my wrist and physically pull me away from them. I looked up and saw Aunt Karen. She turned to the paparazzi.

"She said she didn't want to talk. Let her be. Thanks, yall" She says before pushing me onto an elevator. We were alone for the first time in I dont know how long.

"Thanks" I say finally looking up at her. She bit her bottom lip and looked at me. A few minutes later, she turned to walk out as the bell dinged.

"I guess it's not as easy to keep secrets from them" She says while walking away. When I walked off the elevator, Uncle Jimi and Elijah were standing there with Phillip, Kimberly, and the kids. They all looked at me. I looked at Kimberly and Uncle Jimi with tears in my eyes and shook my head.

"She hates me" I whispered walking past them so the kids wouldn't hear. They stayed silent.

The whole time I was in the shower, I just sobbed. I didn't even know why. Part of me hated myself because of what bad happened, and part of me hated Aunt Karen for being that way towards me, but I couldn't blame anyone but myself. I just wanted Devin, and nothing else. I wore his merch tonight to the show, and we all sat in the back. That was my choice. The kids played, but I sat with my head in Devin's lap. He knew that I was upset and he just let me feel everything that I needed too. He let me cry if I needed too. He let me scream. He was the best person I'd met and I love him so much. Why couldn't Aunt Karen see that?

QOTC: do you think Karen will come around?
comment below! love yall!