Chapter 31

March 16th. Today was the day I was in New York. My father and Aunt Karen were with me. I was afraid to do this, because of so many reasons, but the main one being that I didn't feel like talking about my dead boyfriend.

"You'll be fine, baby. Just stay calm" Dad says hugging me before I go on. I nod.

"We're going to be right here" Aunt Karen says as I go to hug her.

"I'm not mentioning the baby yet" I say.

"We know. Just go talk about Devin" she replies. I nod and go take my place as Robin Robert's introduces me.

"The city of Nashville has been mourning the passing of one of their very own, and the members of Little Big Town were affected tremendously. Up and Coming country star, Devin Dawson, was the opener for them on the 'Nightfall' tour, which has been postponed until further notice. Hearts are especially aching for the girlfriend of Devin, and my guest today. Please welcome, Lainey Fairchild" She says. There was applause and I walked out and hugged her before sitting down. "Lainey, thank you so much for being here with us".

"Thank you for having me" I say.

"We were all so sorry to hear about what happened to Devin. I can't imagine what you're going through right now" She says. I swallow hard.

"It was...unexpected, and heartbreaking. It was a tragedy for all of us" I say.

"Do you care to explain what happend?" She asks.

"Well, uh...the kids and I were watching Devin's set for the opening night in Indianapolis, and before his last song...he was shot. The show was immediately stopped and we all left and got Devin to the hospital. They informed us he would need surgery, and....well he didn't make it" I say. She looked at me with such sympathy.

"I can't imagine seeing the man you love like that. And the kids seeing it too" She says.

"Yeah, that was rough for them. Elijah ran to tell my Aunt Karen, and Daisy and Phoebe just kept me from running after him. Thinking about it now...it's hard" I say.

"I bet the kids loved him" She says. I nod and smile.

"They did. They adored him and so did I" I say.

"How long did you get to spend together?" She asks.

"Well, we actually started dating in January. We...kept it very private. Not even my family knew for a long time, but we had three good months together, but...I just wish we got forever" I say.

"We wish you did too. What are you planning for life now?" She asks.

"Well, the tour was postponed. We don't know for how long, but it is until further notice. We will be having a funeral soon too. And, as far as me, I'm working with some personal stuff right now. My family and I are just going to take it one day at a time, and get through this" I answer. She smiled at me.

"You seem so strong, Lainey. That's incredible" She says.

"I've got to be. I mean, it's hard. I-I loved Devin with everything that I have. He was the most perfect guy, and he made me the happiest girl in the world. He was perfect, and now I have to live this life without him. That's something I never thought I'd have to do as a 20 year old" I say. I was fighting back tears.

"No one should ever have to go through that at any age" She says. "What are you doing to cope?".

"I'm just...taking it one day at a time. There isn't much else that I can do" I say. She smiled sympathetically.

"Well, Lainey. We are thinking of you and your family at this time, and I'm sure a lot more people are too. Thank you so much for joining us today" She says.

"Thank you" I say. Minutes later I went backstage again. The show wasnt as bad as I anticipated, and it was kind of fun doing a talk show. I just wished Devin was beside me.