Chapter 26

***Karen's POV***

We were doing our prayer before we went onstage as usual, when Elijah burst through the doors crying followed by a security guard.

"Buddy, what?" I ask leaning down to him.

"Everyone needs to leave now" The guard says.

"Where are the girls?" Kimberly asks.

"It's Devin" Elijah sobs.

"What happened?" I ask.

"There's a shooter" The guard says.

"He was shot" Elijah sobs. I look up to Jimi.

"Kimberly, take him" I say. Elijah wraps his tiny arms around Kimberly as Jimi and I take off running to the stage for Lainey. When we found her, Daisy and Penelopi were physically holding her back from getting to Devin on the stage.

"Lainey, come here" I say. She couldn't move. She just sobbed with her head buried into the stage.

"I got her" Jimi says. He picks her up. I kneeled down and hugged the two girls, who were sobbing as well.

"Come on. We need to go" I say. I led the two of them back to the dressing room. We all shuffled to get into the buses and leave. I knew Lainey would be worrying about Devin, but she was sobbing so much, she wouldn't even speak.

The buses drove us to my brothers house and then left so no one would know we were there. I was texted updates about Devin. Lainey cried and cried and cried. She literally wouldn't stop until she had fallen asleep.

***
An hour after everything had happened, we were all calmed down.

"Kids, can you tell us what happened?" Kurt asked. We were all in the living room except Lainey. She was sound asleep in her old room.

"There was just two gun shots then Devin was on the ground" Elijah says.

"Lainey tried to go out but we stopped her" Daisy says.

She was picking at something on her sweater she was wearing.

"Honey, what's on your shirt?" Kimberly asks. Daisy pulled her hands away.

"Blood" She says. She looks up. "He was bleeding so much". We all just shook out heads. It was silent until my phone rang. Our security guard, John, was calling.

K- hey. any word?

J- is lainey around?

K- no, do you want me to get her?

J- no! no, she...she shouldn't hear this.

K- tell us. it's me, the band, the kids, and my brother.

J- karen, it's serious. it's very serious, and you guys need to get down here now. all of you. including lainey.

K- okay. we'll be there soon.

J- bye.

I hang up the phone and look at Jimi. He pulls me into a hug. I really didnt want to go get Lainey, but I knew she needed to he there.

***Lainey's POV***

Aunt Karen woke me up to go to the hospital. All of us went. I was so scared. I had clung to my father and Aunt Karen the whole time. When we got there, a Doctor pulled us aside.

"I'm Doctor Blake. Devin's doctor. We know that you're not immediate family, but Lainey, you're his girlfriend, so we are able to talk to you guys. Devin has suffered severe injuries to his abdomen and chest. He is in the ICU currently, and tomrrow will undergo surgery to try to repair the injuries" He explains.

"That's good, right? I mean, you can repair what happened" My dad says.

"Well, we are going to try. His wounds are pretty bad, and....I'm sorry to tell you all this, especially because I know that you guys are expecting a baby in October, but...there is about a 50/50 chance with this surgery" He says. I immediately started sobbing. My dad squeezed me tightly. I could tell by his voice that he was holding back tears.

"Can...Can we see him?" Dad asks.

"Yes, sir. Lainey can stay with him, but other visitors will have to go in small groups" He says. He nods.

"Come on, baby" Aunt Karen says. Her voice was shaky too. My dad, Aunt Karen, and I all went back first.

When we got back there. Devin was hooked up to a machine and his whole chest was wrapped in gauze. You could see the blood stains on the white fabric. His eyes were closed. I immediately started sobbing on his bare arm.

"Baby, I'm sorry" I sob. "I'm so sorry".

"Theres nothing you could do, baby" Aunt Karen says.

"Why would someone do this?" I ask putting my head on her shoulder.

"Police are investigating" Dad says. I nod my head. We heard a knock on the door. Elijah and the kids were standing there with Uncle Jimi. I motioned for them to come in. When they all walked over, the kids started to cry too. I bent down and group hugged them all. I was upset, but I knew they were young and seeing that happen to Devin was probably going to be with them for a long time.

Pretty soon, the whole room was full. We definitely didn't listen to the rule about only a few people being in there, but I don't think the doctor actually cared. We all needed to be there for Devin and each other. I didn't know what was going to happen tomrrow during the surgery, but I was praying. I was praying he was okay, and I was praying that they caught who did this. I mean, I had my own ideas, but I wasn't saying anything. The question I did have was why all the problems seemed to follow directly behind me.

QOTC: who do you think did it, and what do you think will happen with devin?
comment below! love yall!