Chapter 32

***
Today was the day. March 20th. I was not ready for today. On top of the funeral, I was now 12 weeks pregnant and incredibly sick. My Dad, Family, and I got to the funeral home at 7:00am. The viewing for the public started at 8:00am. That's when Kimberly and her family and Phillip and his family were coming too.

When we went inside, the funeral director opened the door for us. My eyes immediately went to Devin and I couldn't hold back tears. My Dad squeezed me tightly.

"I'm sorry, baby" He says softly. "I'm so sorry".

"Why. Just why?" I sob.

"I don't know. But, baby, you gotta be strong today, okay? I know it's hard, but you can do it" He says. I nod and slowly pull away.

"Do you want to go see him?" Aunt Karen asks. I swallow hard and nod. She and Dad took my hands and walked with me. He was wearing one of his favorite black T Shirts and his hair was the way he loved to style it. He looked so peaceful. I started sobbing again. Dad and Aunt Karen held me up.

"He looks good, Lainey" Aunt Karen says.

"Yeah" I say softly. I get away from their grip and lean down and kiss his forehead. "I'm so sorry, baby". Uncle Jimi walked up and hugged me.

I had pulled myself together enough and was able to sit down and stay content. Aunt Karen and Unlce Jimi never left each others side, and my Dad kept drinking coffee. I knew they were all struggling too. Elijah was nowhere to be found. He and Devin were super close, and it didn't really seem like anyone had checked on him, so I went to find him. I found him sitting outside.

"Hey, bud" I say and sit next to him.

"Hey" He says softly.

"You okay?" I ask. He smiles.

"I miss him too" He says. I nod.

"I know you do. It's okay to be upset" I say.

"Everyone loved him" He says.

"I know. And, I know that Devin is looking down at all of us, and he's proud of you kids for being so strong. He loved you all. Yoj guys had him warped too" I say. He smiles and leans into me.

"I think you should name the baby after him if it's a boy" He says.

"Well, you're picking the name, remember?" I ask. He looked at me with a confused look.

"I didn't think you'd let me after-".

"Nope. We decided you were naming the baby. You still are" I say. He smiles and hugs me again before we were joing by everyone else outside. It was 8:00 now, so Kimberly and Phillip had just got there. Kimberly hugged me tightly. I could tell Daisy and Penelopi were upset, so I hugged them before we all went inside again.

***
The whole time we were at the funeral home, so many people approached me. People that I'd met before and never even heard of. Plus, so many other country stars. It was very sweet to see all the love that Devin was surrounded by. He was great friends with Hardy, and even had a few songs with him. Morgan Wallen talked to me for a bit. I had become a fan of him because Elijah loved his music. He was super sweet.

By the time 8:00pm rolled around, we had been there for over 12 hours. I was ready to go home. I went to kiss Devin on the forehead and say goodbye. Then, I met everyone outside. Something was wrong. My father was white as a ghost and Aunt Karen had tears in her eyes.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Uh, baby...you may need to...sit down" Dad says.

"Why?" I ask. I heard sniffles coming from Aunt Karen and Kimberly. The kids looked so devastated and Unle Jimi and Phillip couldn't even look at me. "What happened?!".

"Lainey, I just got off the phone with Detective Colby. They...know who killed Devin" He says.

"Tell me" I say. He swallows hard. "Someone tell me!".

"It was...it was Tyler. Lainey, he confessed" Aunt Karen says. I felt my heart drop. I couldnt do anything except cry. Everyone wrapped their arms around me and squeezed tightly. It now made since as to why everyone was crying. If Tyler was the one who killed Devin...he very easily could have killed me.

QOTC: did you all suspect Tyler?
comment below! love yall!