Chapter 33

Today was the actual funeral. I sat up all night thinking about what I had leanred last night. It was kind of strange though, because some part of me wasn't shocked at all. I just truly wanted this day to be over.

I walked downstairs after I had gotten dressed and everyone was waiting there for me.

"Ready to do this, baby?" My dad asked me. I nod. "Let's go".

We all piled into the car and drove over to the funeral home. I immediately went and kissed Devin's forehead again and just waited for people to arrive and by 10:00, e everyone was here. Aunt Karen didn't know who get get to do the ceremony, so she had the funeral director do it.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we are gathered here today, not to mourn, but celebrate the life of Devin Dawson. He was tragically taken from us too soon, but lived a wonderful life. Now, I didn't know Devin, but I've got a few amazing people here that did, and they would like to say a few words. Please welcome, he told me not to use his full name, so come on up, Hardy" He says. He walked up.

"Well, I never thought I'd be here, but here we are. When I met Devin, he was full of fire and wanted to make a name for himself in Nashville.  He definitely did just that.  He was so excited when he got the call to be on the Nightfall Tour with Little Big Town. He knew that was going to bring good things to his life, and it did. I'm not talking about the success. I'm talking about the girl he called me at 3am to talk about. The girl he fell for harder than anything. The girl who brought all the good in the world to him. He loved you, Lainey. He loved you so much, and I know you love him. He wouldn't want you to be upset, he'd want you to rejoice and celebrate the time you did share together. He was a wonderful man, and he lived a wonderul life. I'll miss him a lot, and tonight, I'm gonna drink a beer for him like we used to do all the time. Love you, Devin. We'll miss you, man" He says. My heart broke hearing him say all the nice things that he did. It made me fall even more in love with Devin.

"Beautifully spoken, Hardy. Now. Karen Fairchild. He says. Aunt Karen walked up to the podium.

"I was asked today to speak about Devin. Devin was...an amazing person. I know that because he was the one who saved my niece when she needed it, and then they fell in love. I watched the way they were together, and they remind me of myself and Jimi. I don't know what I'd do if I lost him. He even loved my son like a little brother. I know that he was going to be part of our family, and in a way, he already was. He always will be. We will all miss him, and he will always be in our hearts" She says. The other three members of the band stood up.

"Hi, I'm Uncle Jimi. Devin pulled me aside one day and he told me that a certain song of ours made him always think of Lainey, and I know they always sang this to each other, so Lainey...this is for you" He says. I started crying into my Dad's shoulder and I heard Aunt Karen start singing.

"Take me back to where we started
Shadows dancing on the floor
Let the dark help us remember
What we're fighting for

Full moon, making magic
Light a candle, let it cast a spell
I can't hide the way I want you
Baby, can't you tell

Turn the lights down, we can watch the stars crawl
You and I fall, baby, when the night falls
Throw a spark, we can shine underneath it all
You and I fall, baby, when the night falls

From sunset to sunrise
I'll be the keeper of your heart
I'll be here right beside you
Through the darkest part

Heaven's just above the Milky Way
Stay right here and be my saving grace
Straight on until the morning
Don't you be afraid

Turn the lights down, we can watch the stars crawl
You and I fall, baby, when the night falls
Throw a spark, we can shine underneath it all
You and I fall, baby, when the night falls

I've been dreaming of a night like this
Put my name on your midnight list
You and I fall
You and I fall
When the night falls

Turn the lights down, we can watch the stars crawl
You and I fall, baby, when the night falls
Throw a spark, we can shine underneath it all
You and I fall, baby, when the night falls

I've been dreaming of a night like this
Put my name on your midnight list
You and I fall
You and I fall
When the night falls

You and I fall
You and I fall
You and I fall
When the night falls".

When the finished, everyone had been crying. I was supposed to go speak now, but I barely could through my tears.

"Devin was...the best man that I could've ever asked to be mine. He was loving, and kind, and caring, and accepting, and he never ever let me give up or lose hope. He was perfect. We were going to be together forever and we were-". I started sobbing. "We weren't going to raise our child together. We have a baby that's going to live without his father now, but if Devin taught me anything, it's that I'm strong enough to do it. I'm doing it for Devin. Everything for the rest of my life that I do is for him" I say. I look over at his casket. "I love you, baby. I always will".

I go to take my seat as the funeral director finishes up. I stared at the floor the rest of the service. I know this was about Devin, but the only thing I thought about was Tyler. The way he stole my future from me, and ruined my life way before I even realized it.

When the service was over, I was on the porch with my family.

"Alright, Lainey. Ready to go home?" Dad asks. I shake my head.

"No. I-I need you to take my back to Indy for a few days" I say. He raises an eyebrow.

"Why?" He asks.

"Just please take me" I ask.

"Uh, Okay" He says.

"Go stay back in Indy for a few days, then we can drive up to get you" Aunt Karen says. I nod.

"Let's go, Daddy" I say. He nods and we walk to his car. The ride was house long, but I didn't speak at all. I knew what I had to do. I was going to see Tyler.

QOTC: do you think it's a good idea for Lainey to see Tyler? comment below!