Chapter 30

March 15th. 5 days until Devin's funeral, and here I was going to my baby appointment without him. I mean, of course Aunt Karen came with me, but she wasn't Devin.

"Lainey, we gotta leave in 10 minutes" Aunt Karen says. I nod and finish my breakfast. Elijah was sitting with me.

"What're they gonna do at the doctor?" He asks.

"Well, they're going to look at my baby. Tell me if it's healthy, and I'll be able to hear the heartbeat" I answer.

"Oh. When are you finding out if it's a boy or girl?" He asks.

"When I'm 20 weeks. I'm only 11 right now" I say.

"Can I go with you when you do?" He asks. I smiled. I loved how invested he was into my pregnancy. He loved his little cousin so much already.

"If you ask your mama, I'm sure she would let you come now" I say. He smiled so big.

"Mama! Mama, come here" He yells. She walked in.

"What?".

"Can I come with you and Lainey to see the baby?" He asks cheerfully. She raises an eyebrow and looks over at me. I nod.

"Well, if Lainey doesn't care, then yeah" She says. He throws his hands up in the air and hugs her. "Go get your stuff, we've gotta go soon".

He disappears down the hall and comes back a few minutes later. We then piled into the car and were on our way.

"I can't wait to see the baby" He chirps from the backseat.

"This baby will need you a lot" I say.

"I hope it's a boy. We'll be bestfriends" He says.

"What about if it's a girl?" Aunt Karen asks.

"Well, I'll still probably like her...just maybe not as much" He says. We couldn't help but laugh as we pulled into the parking lot.

I went in and filled out some paperwork. After waiting about 10 minutes, the doctor called us back. She instructed me to raise my shirt while she put the gel on my stomach.

"Lainey, you're already getting bigger" Elijah says.

"Buddy, there's one thing you never say to a woman" Aunt Karen says. We all laughed.

"Lainey, there's your little one right on the screen. Nice and Healthy" She says.

"Oh, wow!" I say.

"Beautiful, Lainey" Aunt Karen says.

"Any way you can tell if that's a boy?" Elijah asks. The doctor laughed.

"I'm guessing you're the big cousin?" She asks.

"Yeah. Lainey said I can name him if he's a boy" He says.

"Well, you come back here in a few weeks and I'll be able to tell you" She replies. He nods his head an smiles. "Now, Lainey. The whole town of Nashville is sorry to hear about Devin. You and this little one are in our prayers".

"Thank you. That...means a lot" I say. She smiles.

"I think I know something that will turn your frown upside down" She says. I raise an eyebrow before the room is filled with the sound of a heartbeat. I immediately smiled. Aunt Karen grabbed my hand.

"That's half of Devin right there" She says. I felt tears rush to my eyes.

"I know. I miss him so much" I say and begin crying. She squeezes me tightly.

"I know, baby" She says. I finally pulled myself together enough to talk to the Doctor.

"A lot of girls come in here whose baby fathers have passed due to a number of reasons, or that just aren't in the picture. They make it through because they've got a perfect little one on the way. Lainey, look forward to that" The Doctor says. I sniffle and nod.

"Devin was so excited about the baby. He was scared, but excited to be a father. I can't believe he's not going to be able to see his child grow up" I say. Elijah grabbed my hand.

"But he's in heaven with the other baby now" He says quietly. I smile and nod.

"I know he is" I say.

"Sometimes people just like to be selfish and wish their loved ones were here" Aunt Karen says. Elijah nods. I began to get up. "Elijah, why don't you go get the pictures from the front desk". He cheerfully went out of the room.

"Lainey, you know that with Devin's death, you may feel more stress or sadness, and that it could really cause distress in the baby? I know you can't help it, but the baby is a risk anyways because of what bappend with the twin. I just want you to he careful" The doctor says. I sigh.

"I know. I've been struggling, but I'm okay. It's hard, but...what can I do?" I say.

"If anything changes, you let me know" She says. I nod as Elijah comes back in.

"Ready?" Aunt Karen asks. I nod before walking out to the car.

"I cant believe this baby is my cousin. In your belly! When will it come out?" Elijah asks looking at the pictures. He hadn't let anyone else see them.

"October 9th. You've got a while" I say.

"I can't wait. I'll finally have a baby I'm related too" He says.

"You will" I reply.

"I'm gonna love this baby" He says.

"He or she?" Aunt Karen asks.

"Oh, mama. It's gotta be a boy" He replies.

"We'll see" I say.

"Dolly, Daisy, and Phoebe all are girls. I need a boy too" He says. I just shake my head. "You know what, Lainey?".

"What, bud?".

"I'll teach the baby everything I know. How to build legos, and everything. I'll watch movies with it and be it's bestfriend. No matter what...we're gonna be bestfriends". My heart smiled so big. My heart was shattered, but the fact that my family bad so much love was what kept me going. You can't go wrong with love.

QOTC: do you think the baby will be a boy or girl?
comment below! love yall!