Chapter 19

***
It had been a week. Aunt Karen and I were no better off now than before, but right now, I didn't care about that because it was Valentine's day, and we were in San Francisco. Devin and I were currently out walking around the city. We had a gorgeous view of the ocean and Golden Gate Bridge. We were walking hand in hand and I couldn't have been happier.

"This is perfect. This view. This town. You" I say clinging to his arm. He kissed the top of my head.

"You're perfect" He says. I shake my head.

"I love you so much. I'm so glad we're here" I say.

"I am too. Aside from everything that's happened. I never want to not be without you" He says squeezing my hand tighter.

"Me either" I say as we continued to walk. Of course we had to take pictures too. He even posted one of him kissing my cheek in front of the bridge.

"the most beautiful, wonder, perfect girl is my valentine. i love you more than words can describe @laineyfairchild".

His sweet words would never get old to me. Whenever I was with Devin, nothing else mattered. Nothing was important except us. I had no other worry in the world, and I loved it. Especially considering what's been going on with Aunt Karen and I. It feels like it's been forever since I talked to her and that broke my heart. Thankfully, Devin was here to out the pieces back together.

When we got back to the hotel we were staying at, I said goodbye to him. He had to get ready for the show, and I was taking all the kids out for ice cream. That my valentine's gift to them. I had also got them each a valentines gift. The girls all got chocolates and Disney stuffed animals. Elijah got a bunch of heart shaped stuff to build and I found a heart shaped dodge ball online, and couldn't pass it up.

"Thank you four our stuff, Lainey" Penelopi says.

"Y'all are welcome" I say.

"What'd Devin get you?" Elijah asks. He was sitting across from me next to Daisy. Dolly was in my lap and Penelopi was beside me. I had been avoiding telling them the answer to that question.

"Yeah, and what'd you get him?" Daisy asks. I smiled at the ground.

"Uh, I got him a bunch of guitar picks that have us on them" I say.

"Awe!" The girls squeal.

"And, he got me a locket with our picture" I say holding up the tiny heart around my neck.

"You love him" Elijah says with a mischievous smile.

"I do" I say confidently.

"I don't understand why Aunt Karen doesn't want you to be with him. Mama said that's why you haven't talked to her" Daisy says. I nod.

"Aunt Karen and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to Devin and I. Nothing we can't move past" I say.

"Then why haven't you?" Penelopi retaliates. I sighed and looked over at her dead in the eyes.

"Ask her. She's the one who being a bitch" I say. The table went quiet. I knew the kids could sense the tension too. They just weren't going to say anything about it. But, what I had said was true, and I didn't regret it. I mean, I love my Aunt, but right now, I really didn't like her.

***
When we were at the show, we all watched tonight because it was a holiday. All the kids sang Devin's songs and so did I. I love watching him on stage.

"Okay, San Francisco. Tonight, I've got a surprise. Some people know, and some may not, so if you don't...I've got a girlfriend. Her name is Lainey and she is the absolute most gorgeous girl I've ever known. When we got together, we had to keep it a secret, but now...I Don't Care Who Sees" He says. I felt my face get hot. "Lainey, baby. I wrote you a song, and I hope you love it and much as I love you". I blew him a kiss as he started the song.

When he finished the song, I was in tears. God, I loved him so much it was literally insane. I let the kids stay and watch Little Big Town, but I went back to see Devin. He had to fly to Nashville tonight, so I wasn't going to be with him, and I wanted every second with him that I could get. We just sat in each others arms the whole rest of the show. I fell even more in love each time I looked at him. I'd never felt this before, but I never wanted to feel this way about anyone else in my life.

***
After I said goodbye to Devin, I gathered all the kids up and took them to mine and Elijah's room. Aunt Karen and Uncle Jimi went out on a date, and I let Kinberly and Phillip have some time to themselves. We were all wrestling around playing on the bed. The wanted to play dodgeball with the ball I got Elijah. Everyrhing was going great until he threw the ball at me and it hit me in the stomach. It knocked the wind out of me and I fell to the bed. They all crowded around me. I was okay though, so  I got back up.

"Lainey, what's that?" Elijah asks and points to where I was sitting. I saw a quarter size red dot.

"Is it blood?" Penelopi asks.

"Oh, my gosh. Look!" Daisy exclaims pointing to my thighs. I had on white pajama pants, but now they were stained red. I rushed to the bathroom and blood gushed from between my legs. I started to cramp so badly. I took the pants off and sat on them with a towel around me. The girls walked in.

"Girls, go...go get...Kimberly" I manage to say before losing breath. Elijah squeezed my hand and yelled my name. He was freaking out. I couldn't do anything, and then finally...I lost consciousness.

CLIFFHANGER!