Chapter. 5

"So, Valentina." Master Splinter asked her.

"Yes?" She replied. God, her voice is so beautiful. I wonder how it is when she sings.

"How did you manage to get here?"

"I heard your sons speaking on the rooftop of my house yesterday. Then, I heard a manhole cover being flipped and closed. I got down and followed their voices."

"But why did you get into the sewers?"

She bit her lower lip.

"I heard my mother screaming and gunfiring from the living room. I was so scared I didn't dare to go there, I just got the knife my grandfather gave me in case I had to protect myself, and I got out of the window and reached the manhole cover."

My eyes widened. Could it be...?

"Val, what's your full name?" I asked.

"Valentina Ferreira Lopes." She said with a weird accent.

"Can you repeat that, dudette? I didn't get it." Mikey said.

She chuckled. "Valentina F. Lopes."

My eyes widened as I turned to Donnie, who understood it and left the table.

"Is something wrong?" Val asked.

"We sort of work with the police and yesterday they told us that the daughter of a couple went missing." I said.

"What's the family's name?" She asked as she frowned.

"Lopes." I said.

Her eyes widened. "Oh, my God... My parents! A-Are they okay?! Where are they?" She asked as she suddenly got up.

I got up too. "They're at the hospital. Don't worry, we'll get you to them."

She let out a sigh. "Thank you. Thank you so much."

Timeskip

After a while, we were waiting for Chief Vincent to show up and give us the news.

Me and my brothers were on a private room as we waited.

Soon enough, she showed up a smile on her face.

"They're her parents, alright. The DNA matches and everything. She's home."

I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding. And that got the others attention.

"What's wrong, dude?"

"I just can't believe it. If we had stood there for a bit longer we could've avoided it." I said.

"But there's no way we could've known what was going to happen, Leo." Donnie said.

"I know, but still..."

"Well, I've got other news. Her parents want to see you and thank you." Chief said.

We froze.

"What did you tell them?" I asked.

"That it's not a good a idea. We're trying to convince them to go back home, but we're not getting anywhere. The three of them are pretty stubborn. Her mother mainly."

I let out a sigh. "Then we better get going before they find a way in."

Just then, we heard a knock.

"Who is it?" Chief Vincent asked.

Without answering, the knob was turned and a woman with her left arm on a sling showed up.

"Chief Vincent?" She asked as she stepped in. "Sorry to bother, but we really wanted to thank... You..." She trailed off as her eyes locked with us.

My eyes got wide. But I relaxed a tiny bit when I saw Val behind the lady. Although I did get stiff again as I saw a man behind them, who was with crutches.

Still, we were all so quiet that it looked like the air could be cut. And it was when Val spoke up.

"We should get in. I don't think they'd like to be seen by other humans." She said.

The lady blinked and got in, the other two behind her. Then, they closed the door.

She uncertainly looked at Val who was smiling.

"Are you sure, sweetie? That these... These..."

"Mom. They're humanoid turtles. At least I know Leo is." Val said, he smile never fading.

"Anyway, Valentina. Are you sure they are the ones that brought you here? That they are..."

"Trustworthy? I know you don't trust appearances, and taught me not to do that either when I was kid. But I do trust them, mom. They could've just let me laying there on the floor, or worse, they could've killed me, but they allowed me to stay on a bed and offered me food. They were kind, and you taught me to repay every gesture of kindness that I receive from anyone. No matter what they look like."

My eyes widened even more. To say I was surprised was an understatement.

Still, her mother bit her lip, but Val kept speaking.

"Besides, I know it's them. You know how good I am at recognizing voices."

Her mother let out a sigh. But her father walked up to us in silent.

"Daniel, what are you doing?" She asked him.

When he was close enough, he extended his hand to me.

"Thank you for taking care of our daughter." He said looking straight in my eyes.

I nodded and shook his hand. "You're welcome, Mr. Lopes."

He turned to his wife and smiled. "They helped her. We can't deny that. We owe them, Leticia." He said.

She frowned, and shot her daughter a glare as she pushed her forward. But Val only kept smiling.

Then, she let out a sigh and turned to us doing the same thing her husband did.

"Thank you." She said as we shook hands. I just nodded.

"Dudette, how did you know we are mutant turtles?" Mikey asked Val.

"I felt Leo's shell when he led me to the kitchen. And since he said you are brothers, I assumed you were humanoid turtles too. Was my assumption right?"

"Totally."

"And... You're not afraid of us?" Donnie asked.

"Why should I? You helped me, and besides..." She trailed off as she took off her sunglasses and 'looked' up, so we could see her gray eyes.

"It's not like what you look like matters to me at all." She said as she waved her hand in front of her face as she chuckled.

"So, what will we do now? They took most of our things away." Val's mother said.

"Don't worry. We'll do everything we can to bring those criminals to justice. Until then, I hope you don't mind the boys watching over the three of you." Chief Vincent said.

Mr. and Mrs. Lopes seemed nervous and unsure, but their daughter only smiled even more.

I opened a small smile. There is something about her that makes me interested in her. And the fact she's blind sparks my interest even more.