Chapter. 31

I can't believe it. Next week it'll be me and Val's first anniversary together.

I want to do something for her, but what can I do? Darn it, I'm a mutant turtle and she's blind. It's not like I can take her on a normal date.

I could take her to a picnic and pick a nice place for that, but it won't feel the same with her since she won't be able to see it.

"Ugh, c'mon, Leo. Think... Think... What can you do? *Sigh* If she could see, things would be so much easier. Or not. If she could see, then I'd have to work really hard to impress her. But even with her being blind, I want to surprise her, so I'm going to work hard either way. Not that I care, I want her to be happy. But how can I do that?"

After a while thinking, I finally found out the answer.

"That's it!"

Timeskip

A week after that, I'm going to Val's apartment to get her out. I decided to take her out on a date, but a different kind of date. I hope she likes it.

When I arrived, the window was open, so I just got in.

"Angel? Val?" I called her.

Then, her mother got in.

"Oh, Leonardo. Punctual as usual."

"Good evening, Mrs. Lopes. Where is Val?"

"She's with Jennifer in my room. She'll be right out."

I let out a sigh of relief with that.

"*Chuckle* Would you like to have some tea?"

"If that wouldn't bother you--"

"Oh, please. I never thought I'd say this when we first met, but you are part of the family now. Valentina loves you and trusts you, and you make her happy. So I don't see why I can't see you as my son-in-law already."

I blinked in surprise. I was really taken aback by her words. Mainly with the fact that ever since I met her, she never seemed to trust me nor my family.

Still, I managed to keep my composure as I bowed.

"It's an honor to already be treated as part of your family, ma'am."

"*Chuckle* Come on, now. Let's wait for her on the living room, shall we?"

After that, we were waiting with Mr. Lopes for Val to show up.

Then, after some minutes of chatting and having some tea, I finally heard it.

"Sorry it took too long. It was kind of hard to attend to Leo's request." Jennifer said.

I turned around and my eyes widened. Val's just as beautiful as ever. More, even. She's gorgeous.

She's wearing a knee length white dress with some dark blue palm tree's leaves on it and brown leather sandals. She also has the necklace I gave her and the earring Mikey gave her on, not to mention a simple open silver bracelet with a feather on it.

I smiled and instantly got up before heading towards her.

"Hey, angel." I said.

She opened a smile and held out her hand, which I grabbed.

"Hey, captain." She said. Man, I love her voice, and I love it even more when she sings.

Still, I hugged her tight, which she retributed. After letting go, I turned to Jennifer.

"Hey, Jennifer. Thank you for helping Val."

She shrugged. "Anything for my bestie."

Val winked, which made me chuckle a bit at her.

"Alright, so you're all ready, correct?" I asked.

"Indeed." Val said.

"Then, I guess we can get going." I said as I turned to her parents, who nodded.

"Don't forget your cardigan, sweety." Her mom said.

"Already have it, mom."

True. Her cardigan was tied to the strap of her brown purse.

"Try to bring her back before sunrise, okay?" Her father said, and I nodded.

But when I turned to Val, I had to hold myself back not to laugh at her. Her face showed nothing but utter confusion. 

"Before sunrise? May I know where you're planning to take us to, mister Leonardo?"

"*Chuckle* It's a surprise."

She rolled her eyes.

"*Sigh* You and your surprises. Why am I not surprised?"

I chuckled again before we headed out.

Timeskip, again hehe

After a while, we finally reached our destination.

"Leo?! Are we there yet?!!" Val shouted.

I had to cover her ears as we were getting closer, that's why she was shouting.

I chuckled as I took my hands off her ears.

"Yes, we are." I whispered at her ear and pulled back so I could see her reaction.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. When she let it out, she turned to me slightly.

"Are we on a beach?" She asked me.

I chuckled again. "Yes, we are."

"What the heck are we doing here, Leo?! Someone can see you."

"Relax, this part hasn't been visited in years."

"How do you know?"

"April is a journalist remember? She's got some contacts to get that sort of info."

"Oh, you're right. But still, what are we doing here?"

"Well... Since it's our first anniversary, I thought about making you feel like yourself again."

She raised an eyebrow. "And how do you plan on doing that?"

I gave her something I asked Vern to leave before we got there. Well, some things.

When I gave one of them to her, she started to analyze it. And her eyes widened when she saw what it was.

"... A fishing rod?"

"Yeah... I remember you said you missed fishing, so... I thought about a stroll on the beach, and bit of fishing for today... D-Did you like it?"

She opened a huge smile. "I loved it! I can't believe I'll be fishing again! But, wait... None of us know how to get the fish off the hook, or... Do you know, by any chance?"

I blinked in shock. That before slapping my own forehead.

"Damn it. I'm such an idiot. I totally forgot that."

She chuckled at me before showing a sincere smile.

"It's okay, Leo. I really appretiate the idea, but honestly?" She trailed off as she closed her eyes and took another deep breath. "Just to be back on a beach, with one of the people I love, already makes me feel like myself again."

My eyes widened as I got surprised. But I soon enough smiled again.

"I'm glad." I said as I hugged her.