Ashes

I stood there watching the young Alpha dance with another Wolf, the bleach blonde standing next to me smiling pleasantly.

She brushed a few strands of her hair over her shoulder, showing off the vibrant red tips at the bottom of her hair. She was dressed in a black robe like dress that draped down her lanky frame.

I brushed my Grey hair back with one hand, I hated suits. But now wore a dark green one that was tight on my broad shoulders.

"Alex will handle her nicely." She purred and I tensed.

"Alex? That boy is inexperienced, this is a big Job, Phoenix." I told her with a frown. Phoenix of course wasn't her real name, it was Pheobe.

She'd gotten her name from a mission everyone had thought she'd died in, but she came back with the Target's head on a stake, the rest of their pack burned to the ground.

"He's young, but that's who we need now. He's able to manage his emotions better than anyone else his age, and this girl is a good reader. If she was oblivious we wouldn't need to worry. But we need this pack to fall. If it doesn't, our camps will soon be discovered with their expansion." She said while transitioning her piercing golden gaze to me.

I held back another frown, giving her a neutral look. We didn't need to attract any attention.

"We've slowed their progress with the former Alpha and his wife dying." I murmured.

Phoenix's smile widened.

"Yes, and her older sister meeting her mate was also helpful. But this brat refuses to give up on this pack. Not to worry, it will soon fall. If it's over her dead body, all the better." She said coldly and turned to leave.

"One less Alpha to push us around." She said quietly as I followed her towards the town. We'd sneak into the forest away from the celebration, otherwise we'd be seen leaving.

"Alexander Janson it is then." I said with a displeased tone.

"Don't worry Dominic, he knows what will happen if he fails." She told me with a silky voice.

I did know, all too well.

He'd be on his own, without any shelter, food, or water from our camp. Most wolves would be fine, but this guy was practically still a kid, he acted like it.

"Yes, I do." I hummed.

I hoped he would fail, and I knew Phoenix would be upset with him if he did. The brat was practically her protégé. Even so, you did Not want Phoenix angry with you, you'd be better off dead.

Knowing this, brought a small smile to my lips.

Yes, I hoped he would fail.