The Choice

I sat on my bed watching the moon rise slowly.

The quickest way to end her would be to snap her neck, no blood, no mess. A pair of gloves sat in my suitcase. I didn't need any sort of weapon.

After grabbing them and some shoes I'd never worn, I waited until it was properly dark before heading out into the corridor. I didn't sneak around, that would be more suspicious than if I was just walking down the hallway.

Sometimes I'd yawn, though I wasn't tired.

I always hated this part of my missions. If I was lucky, she'd be asleep, then I wouldn't see her with that look, the look I was always given.

Fear, confusion, and hurt.
Finding Red's room wasn't difficult seeing as I already knew it's location. I'd mapped out the rest of the plan in my head. I'd go back to sleep shortly after disposing of any evidence that could point to me, including my gloves and shoes, no one would ever find them... In the morning after they found her, I'd tell them I had to go back to my pack.

Even if I decided to leave tonight, because I might need to, I could.

The scouts would have given me trouble if I hadn't helped the young alpha organize them, I knew their travel patterns so getting past them wouldn't be a problem.

As I reached the door, I felt my heart pick up a bit. Taking a deep breath to calm it, I opened the door silently.

The room was dark, an oak master bed close to the door. There was a large window next to it on the other side of the room, I could see out of it into the streets.

A bathroom door was next to the door I now closed behind me. On the other side of the room, opposite of the bed was a vanity. It didn't look like the make up on it had been used in a while, no one had even sat in it for weeks. That was when I realized this wasn't Red's room. Well, it was now, but this had used to be her parents' room.

I looked back towards the large bed that held the small girl in it's covers.

Her red hair was spread out like a wild flower's petals on her pillow, the freckles that lined the side of her face could be seen clearly other than a few strands of curls laying across them, somewhat covering her face. The covers went up to her shoulders, lightly sliding off of them. Her breathing was soft, still asleep.

I was silent as I crept over, all the while, watching for a change in breathing or any other indication of her waking up.

I was so close, one swift motion, her hair wouldn't even get in the way. My escape would be easy also.

But as I reached towards her, I felt my heart start pounding.

I remembered her smile, her laugh, how her eyes lit up brighter than the sky at midnight. Her determination towards her pack. How she treated the individuals she ruled. She never bossed them around without pulling her own weight along with them.

That's when I realized, that this wasn't a pack, this was a family. A family who's child I was about to murder.

Her only desire was to set up a good life for the people she cared about. Was I really going to stop her?

My hand rested itself almost too lightly on the side of her face, but I pulled back as if she'd burned me.

Tears filled my eyes, and I knelt next to the bed, gently pulling the covers over her shoulders.

Sliding off the gloves, I put them in my back pocket, setting my forehead on the mattress's side. I took deep breaths, trying to get back up, but I knew the truth of the matter.

I couldn't do this.

I couldn't kill her, I couldn’t bring myself to hurt this girl in any way.

But did I have a choice?

"Alexander?" Her voice was groggy. I looked up to see black eyes staring at me, confused, and sleepy.

"You ok?"