Finding the Truth

"What is it?" Phoenix said, gesturing to the seat next to her desk.

I walked over but I didn't sit down.

"Alpha Synthia isn't like the other Alphas. You need to call off my mission." She blinked at me.

"Excuse me?! How dare you talk to Phoenix like that, you privileged-"

"Dominic." Phoenix didn't look at him as she stood up slowly. "Shut up." She told him and he gaped at her before glaring at me.

"Go on." She said and I found myself smiling a little, she was listening to me.

"She doesn't just boss everyone around without a reason, and she works along side everyone. Working just as hard, if not harder to help keep her pack together. She brings everyone together instead of just running them around like minions." I told her, but I trailed off in my words.

Slowly I realized, that my words were circling in my head. Remembering how the camp was run, we were said to be a free society. Yet, we were sent out to do whatever by a single individual, who organized everything.

"Please Alex, go on." Phoenix told me, but I finally noticed the amusement in her expression as a frown dragged my lips down.

"You...You made yourself the Alpha here." I said as Dominic gave me a stiff snort.

"We're free of any 'Alpha' in our Camp." The man said and Phoenix waved a hand.

"Dominic go away." She told him, still not looking at him.

"But-"

"Leave, please." She said, making direct eye contact with him now. He frowned, but nodded and left, slamming the door behind him.

I didn't take my eyes off of the blonde in front of me as she walked around the desk.

"Please, don't let me stop you. As you were saying?" She asked as my frown turned into a glare.

"You're the one who sends everyone out on missions, ever since your last mission where you burned a pack to the ground. The Camp began to recognize you as an Alpha without even realizing it." I told her, as it started falling into place in my own head.

Phoenix grabbed a candle, holding it up to smell it.

She didn't confirm or deny what I was saying, but I didn't need her too.

"But, If you've become the Camp's Alpha, why continue to kill other Alphas?" I asked with a frown.

Phoenix hummed with a smile as her golden eyes met my blue ones.

"When you want to conquer the packs. Do you do it through war? Or assassination?"