Excuses

Sorry for the wait, I'm ok, I'm just lazy and my mind has been a bit sluggish lately.

I blinked back at the smaller form in front of me before faking a tired and sheepish smile.

"Hey Red. Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

The Alpha rose a brow as she sat up, still staring at me as her red locks fell around her.

"What are you doing here?" She asked rubbing one eye.

I got up, sitting on the side of her bed.

"Couldn't sleep." It wasn't a complete lie. I couldn't sleep whenever I contemplated my Target's end. But Red wasn't a target to me anymore, I couldn't exactly explain the connection we had, maybe we were friends, or maybe our relationship was more like we were siblings. That's what she had said... it seemed like something of that sort.

Whatever it was, I did know this kid was important to me, and I couldn't-I wouldn't hurt her.

She stretched her arms as she frowned at me.

"So you came in my room because?" She asked still looking confused.

My sheepish expression became painfully real.

"Uh, I..realized, that I..don't know your name." I tried very hard not to make my sentence a question.

It's true I'd never really been told her name, but I'd just been calling her Red recently.

Her black eyes stared at me as if she was looking directly through me, all with a dead panned expression over her facial features.

"Synthia."

I blinked a bit in surprise. "Wait really?" I asked and she frowned.

"Yes, really, what's wrong with my name?" She asked folding her arms over her chest.

"Nothin, I just, didn't expect it." I said while raising my hands as if in surrender.

"I thought it would be more.. I don't know, chill? Like Sidney, or Sarah, or something." I shrugged, to which Synthia snorted.

"Well if it makes you feel better, Alexander. The wolves in my pack usually just call me Alpha or Syn." She told me while leaning back on her hands.

I grabbed my chin softly in thought.
"Hm, am I allowed to call you Syn?" I asked with a playful smirk.

"I thought you already came up with a nickname for me." She said tilting her head with an identical smirk.

A smile played at my lips as she paused, realizing just what she'd said.

"You mean, you like me calling you Red?" I asked and she looked away.

"I don't care what you call me." I hummed at that.

"Oh, my apologies, Alpha Synthia." She growled.

"Ok, don't call me that." She said, pointing a finger at me, my smirk only grew.

"I thought you didn't care what I called you." I teased. She rolled her eyes before shoving my face away from her.

"Yeah, whatever." She snorted and I found myself chuckling as I stood up, subconsciously rubbing the back of my head.

"Well, I'll let you get back to sleep, sorry for bothering you." I told her. I heard her yawn and mumble a 'Good Night' to me as she snuggled back into bed.

I looked back at her, a light smile on my lips as I watched her settle back into bed.

"Good Night, Red."

Walking back to my room, I felt a bit dazed.

All this time, I'd thought Alphas were all the same. Pushy, snobbish, and uncaring. But Synthia was the opposite of all of those things. I suddenly became painfully aware of my everyday actions, even when I wasn't pretending to be an Alpha.

I acted like a pompous prince without even trying, even though I helped around the camp. I tried to get out of chores, I stole things I didn't need.

My head was a bit slumped as I made it back to my own room and for the first time, I actually looked at it.

My bed was comfortable, I had a large closet off to the side, and a window that saw into the forest. If I stood to one side, I could clearly see some of the pack houses.

I looked at myself, what I was wearing.

Synthia didn't wear any of this fancy fabric, and yet back at camp, I paraded around in it as often as I could.

All my life, I'd acted like the one thing, I was taught to hate.

I was a hypocrite, and so were a lot of the other wolves at the camp.