Questions

"Checkmate." I smiled, placing my queen just out of attacking range for her king. Red stared at it a bit blankly.

"You're mind isn't on the game." I told her, poking her forehead. That seemed to snap her out of it, semi.

"Sorry." She mumbled and I hummed.

"Well, now that I have my question, I think I'm going to use it. What's so special about that tree you were kneeling under?" I asked.

She looked up at me before sighing, setting her elbow on the table and leaning her cheek on her palm. Very unladylike thing to do, but I didn't comment.

"My mother planted it. Miss Amelia's trees weren't very big mind you, they'd just started bearing fruit. Now they're ruined because of some stupid Rogues." She frowned and I hummed with a small 'tsk'.

"Well, Rogues are very annoying. Though I'm a bit disappointed to see them get this far into your territory."

"I've been doing my best to get those scouts into shape. My father was too soft on them. I'd replace them, but there just aren't enough wolves trained not to fall asleep while on duty." She frowned in frustration.

I felt a bit glad that she was telling me this. For one, it meant her scouts were friendly and not the brightest. Two, she was opening up to me, even if it was just a rant. This was very good.

"Well I'm sure you'll figure it out." I told her starting to rearrange the pieces.

"Would you like to play again?"
Her eyes locked with mine.

"How do you handle your scouts?" She asked and I hummed buying myself time.

Obviously I didn't know anything about commanding others, but I needed to pretend.

"I don't." I answered honestly.

"I have others do it for me." I said, answering like I was a pompous prince.

Red didn't seem all that happy to hear that.

"Do you know anything about the wolves you command?" She asked and I looked at her a bit blankly.

"Should I?"

She slammed her hands on the table we'd been using as she stood up.

"Yes! You should! What kind of Alpha are you!? Commanding others without caring about their well fare at all? That's not what an Alpha is!"

"And yet, I am an Alpha." I lied before shrugging. "What does that say about what an Alpha is?"

The girl bared her teeth at me. "Oh you're just as insufferable as Garret!"

She slammed a fist on the table. I perked up at that. I didn't know who this 'Garret' was, I was only semi familiar with the female Alphas since those were my targets.

"Oh? Well I can't blame him for thinking similarly, this is how we were raised after all." I pointed out before standing up and gently setting a hand on the table. I leaned closer to her.

"Which is what intrigues me about you. From what I've heard, your father was like any other Alpha. So why are you so different?" I asked as she narrowed her eyes at me.

"Because I was taught not to be blind." She said simply, with an insulting tone.

I let a smile lift my lips before laughing at that. She was right, but I was supposed to be mocking her.

"And who taught you that?" I asked making her snort.

"You'd have to win another game for that answer."

"Then shall we play?" I asked gesturing at the board.

The Alpha smirked before standing up.

"No, I have more important matters to deal with then playing games like a child." She told me and turned around to walk away.

"My apologies but aren't you still a child?" I asked raising a brow.

Red turned back to glare at me. "I'm 15."

"I'm sorry, teenager."

"You're a teen too you know." She said, turning back to me fully and putting her hands on her hips.

"Excuse me?" I asked as she walked back over.

"You're what? 17, 18?" She asked and I blinked at her surprised.

She'd gotten so close, too close to my actual age.

I smiled a bit smugly, hiding my surprise behind one of my many masks.

"I'm 20 actually." I said before brushing back some of my hair. "But thank you, I suppose I do look quite young."

The red head rolled her eyes while folding her arms.

"You don't really act 20."

"And you act 15?" I asked raising a brow at her.

Her shoulders tensed a bit as her eyes narrowed towards me, too far.

"Are you sure you don't have time for another match?" I asked changing the subject. But Red just scoffed and walked off.

I sat down with a small hum, moving one of my pieces forward a square.