An audience with the enemy

-

"Now, I'd love to enquire about these sorrows that you speak of.... but that dress..." He began, advancing spotlighted across the wooden stage, his shoes clacking against the hollow floors like the bursting beats of your heart that almost drowned out his steps: "And that messy line of red across your lips-" He stopped in front of you, looming a full two feet above you, as his bony thumb caressed your cheek almost tenderly, you paling: "It makes me decide that I'd much rather hear about you making yourself pretty and complacent for my brother dear...!"

-

The two of you were seated at the edge of the stage, the amber glow of the lights illuminated against your paled skin, your quaking knees, your- "He doesn't hurt you my dear, does he??" Papyrus interrupted your thoughts, tone too soft for the makings of a criminal- but just by touching your lips, remembering the tape that once sealed them shut- you were reminded of how criminal he was.

"N-No..." You managed, Papyrus staring noiselessly: "Has he ever touched you? I understand my brother has an irrational temperament with women, he doesn't handle them as the delicate flowers they are..." He rasped, a phalange snaking gently into your locks, you grimacing as he raked them through. "He- He treats me well..." You stammered, trying to pull away gently. Papyrus's sick grin only grew.

"You didn't answer the question I asked..." he spoke lowly, grin present as his grip on your hair tightened, tearing as you gasped. "Yes, he did!" You confessed. His grip loosened considerably with a happy hum escaping his vertebrae, opting to comb his phalanges through your hair almost gently. "It was wrong of him to take you, pet... you've probably been mistreated and misbegotten.. haven't you??" He asked in what could be called sympathy. You would think twice about that. "I.... I have been mistreated in past encounters." You trembled. "As I thought.." Papyrus rumbled: "Treated like property I'm to presume?" Your breath hitched. Though Sans was nicer just now- you'd have to bite your tongue. This skeleton scared you.

He leaned in slightly, awaiting your answer with an imminent smirk: "How awful for a doll to endure... You see, I, would never do such things- forcing things is so unsavoury. But that's my brother's nature unfortunately... he's a brute." He stood suddenly, your eyes following the graceful motion. "I would love to show you how a true gentleman acts in this family instead of taking things so wrongfully-" he said, cupping your hand in his fluidly.

"I hope you'll join me for lunch this afternoon as impromptu that is, if I may dare to ask you. We can digress your situation further- and who knows..." he began, trailing off, dropping your hand as he eyed you with a widening smirk. You shivered. "Maybe we could help each other..." he pressed a small rectangle of paper into your palm; his call card no doubt, his phalanges lingering there:

"I know you won't disappoint..."

Crimson smoke flooded before you: He was gone. You dropped on sudden release, slumping in the brocaded chair, paled from the encounter. It was then that the doors opened ironically- two seconds too late, Sans strolling through, earlier grin still evident, crumpled collar shirt ditched for freshly pressed. He spied you easily as he descended, crossing towards you: "Hey doll- whatcha doin' sittin' down on the job? Thought you'd be entertainin' us-?" he teased, Frisk trailing in behind him with a small wave at you. Sans had made his way to you, his body propped from the bottom of the stage between your dangling legs as he stared up at you with a smile.

You gazed down at him, eyes glassy, that being all it took for him to grip your smaller hands in worry from his stance in front of you: "Spit it all out doll-" He rumbled in concern before your breath finally caught up to you, beginning to hyperventilate. You began to tell him everything- Papyrus' sudden appearance, the invitation, the sympathy- every word said in the span of those five minutes.

He eventually stood, cursing under his breath before inhaling deeply: "Bub, you go with the kid- he'll take you to Muffet, she'll scrub you up-" "Wait... what-? You're using me as bait?!" Your betrayed tone stabbed a hole through his ribs. He sighed, you just didn't understand, did you? How could you? They had come for him and were using you to get him— and it was working- "You won't be alone obviously- I'll back you up from a distance-" he began to reassure before you pried your hands away from his, tears welling against your will. You sniffled with a dry laugh. "But you're using me Sans, for your own gain and just when I was startin' to believe you were an ok guy huh?" You spoke, shaking your head.

He only hung his head shamefully: "I'll let you go..." He murmured. His words took you off guard: "B-Beg your pardon?"
He looked up, socket dim with guilt: "I'll let you leave- ya won't ever hear from me again. I'll give you some cash, you can move far away from here where none of this shit can get to ya! Please..." He pleaded earnestly. You knew he was serious. You stared at him, brows creased with worry- "What did he do to you...?"

Sans flinched at the question. Papyrus clearly flexed some kind of hold on the large skeleton. "I..... I got involved in some stuff- stuff that was... wrong- that's all you need to know." He steeled over. You glared at him. "Oh, I see, 'big tough Mr. Criminal' can't get women involved in their personal affairs but can move them around like pawns and come onto them when they feel like-! Well- You offered me freedom- you better damn-well deliver-!" You spat before turning away without so much as another word: "C'mon Frisk.." you said stiffly, holding out your hand for the child as the skeleton's shoulders behind you fell with hurt. Frisk looked between the two of you for a moment before taking your hand hesitantly, leading you out of the space.

Now alone, the skeleton quaked with rage at his own actions, clutching his skull. Why did he lie to you? He wasn't going to be able to let you go- Gaster would refuse such an idea anyways. Because anywhere in the underground, anywhere in the world- the king's service would find you. They would torture you in ways that humans hadn't yet discovered just to get to him and deliver some sick justice. They didn't understand, nor would they ever, not after what he did- what he was ordered to do along with Gaster.

No-one.

Muffet had just finished fastening an ebony sun-hat atop of your head when Frisk entered, popping his bobbed head in through the door as if to ask: 'Is she done yet?' Muffet cocked her head towards him: "One second darling~!" She sung as she hurried away to the trinket box. You turned towards the boy, a grumpy frown on face to which he grinned at, giving you a thumbs up: 'Looks good!' You smirked back, returning the thumb before he backed out of the door.

Muffet returned with a small pearled necklace, draping it round your neck. "There!" She proclaimed, stepping aside for you to view yourself. White-collared blouse, black pencil skirt that ended at mid-thigh... if you didn't know any better, you'd think you were being dressed for a d- "Do you like it, mademoiselle?" You blinked: "Y-Yeah, it's a bit much isn't it? It's just lunch-" "Non! Nonsense! It's lunch between the engaged! You must impress!"

Your eyes bulged: "What-?!! No, no- NO. You've  got that wrong- completely wrong!" "You're not going with the master: Sans??" Her head cocked in confusion. "No," "Oh, excuse my assumption madame, are you perhaps going with the doctor?" "No. And where on earth did you get the idea I was engaged to that-" "Oh, Frisk! *Le petite garçon! He told me of your engagement! I'm so happy for you! It means I get to dress you up— and- and have the 'girl talks' with you! How exciting!(*The little boy!)." She clapped cheerily.

Your frown narrowed further. You were going to kill Sans. Was that how he convinced Gaster to let you stay?! Dear god... As if summoned- the devil himself walked through: "It's time to go doll..." You gave him a dirty look before brushing past him brusquely before holding out your arm: "Let's get this over with." You said coldly, Sans staring before grunting, gripping your arm: "Where are we headed?" He asked gruffly as you handed the call card to him. He glanced at it before scoffing, shoving it into his breast-pocket as you both went up in smoke...

(A.N: Welp, here it is, the first update of the year! So um, happy New Years and happy Valentine's Day! XD please do comment, vote- I love reading all of them and try to respond to them all! More to come! Next up: 'Can I take you to brunch?' See you in the next chapter! I love you guys!

Love: MissHoll-E-Socks! <3)