Chapter 5

Cole's POV (this chapter is a flashback to what Cole experienced after the events of the last chapter in MINE. If you haven't read it this might not make a ton of sense! Go read it!)

The rain hit the roof of this now out of gas truck that sheltered me. It hasn't even been a full day.

I sat on the edge of my seat gripping the wheel. I replayed the moment I got shot. I managed to find an old t-shirt in the truck and tie it around my shoulder to stop the bleeding. At least a little bit.

Where was I going? I didn't have a plan. I didn't have money. I had nothing. I didn't even have freedom.

Part of me wonders what Emily told the police. Do they know about me? Do they have a profile? Could they catch me if I go into the public? If I did make it with Emily would she have turned me in? Is she safe?

I got out of the truck and began walking farther down the road I stopped on. I didn't know my way around now like I did when I was in the woods. Not leaving that often left me lost now. I guess I deserve this.

It was cold. Lightly sprinkling. The snow on the ground was brown from mud. I needed to find some sort of building and food.

A loud horn turned my attention to behind me. I tried to open my eyes to see but the water driblets from the sky burned them if they opened past a squint.

It was a big truck. Bigger than any one I've ever seen. Only on tv. A semi truck? It stopped.

"Do you need a ride?" A yelling older southern male voice called out.

I nodded my head and walked to the other side of this monster of a truck. I opened the door and hopped in.

"Where are you headed?" He asked me as I shut the door. He had red hair. It was short almost not even there. His gut hit the steering wheel. What a man.

I coughed and wiped my face of the rain. "Anywhere. The nearest town, I guess." I looked away from him taking in the surrounding of this truck and them back to him.

His eyes trailed me and found themselves on my wound. I shifted in my seat to shake his eyes away.

"What's your name, boy?" He asked.

I stayed silent. Do I tell him my real name? Do I make one up?

"Not much of a talker? I get it I'm a stranger. Was that your truck back there?" He began to drive.

I nodded yes.

"Something wrong with it?"

I sighed. "Yeah."

"Okay...well. My name is Sean. I'm heading back down to Tennessee." I looked outside as we drove through rain puddles.

"What are you doing out here on this back road? I've driven this route for years. Never seen anyone out here. All that's out here are trees."

I huffed. "If all there are is trees then why are you out here?" Anger began to build up in me. This old man had no reason to ask these questions. He has no idea who I am.

He laughed. "I'm a truck driver, son. I take back roads to avoid all of the other guys on the highway so I can get home quicker. The highway is only good at night."

Son. That name was no okay with me. I clenched my fists.

"How old are you? You don't look a day over 19. Are you running away? In trouble?"

"STOP ASKING ME QUESTIONS." I raised my voice. He was shocked. He looked scared of me now. As he should be.

"Okay okay. Just trying to figure out who ya are. I'm giving you a ride...for free." He reminded me.

Come to think of it I've never interacted with people who weren't apart of my group. This man was showing kindness and here I am thinking he's horrible.

I began to get dizzy. "Breathe." a female voice whispered. I shook my head. Faith? No it wasn't her. Mom? No. Not her either. Emily. It was Emily.

I swallowed and put my head against the window on my door. Who am I kidding? I don't know how to be normal. How to live a normal life. I should turn myself in.

"I'll drop you off at the next stop how 'bout that?" Sean with his southern charm asked me.

I nodded yes. My eyes closed.

When they opened again we were now in a different place.

"Kid, wake up." A strangers voice said.

Looking around I was still in the semi truck. It was Sean. He laughed. "Mornin."

"Where are we?" I began to wake up fully. I looked outside and saw a small town. We sat in a parking lot for a motel. The moon was out and making itself known.

"Dunton." Sean said a name of a city in Colorado I'm sure but have never been to.

He sighed. "I'm gassed up and ready to move on. Time for you to go."

I sat up straight and understood.

"I booked you a room. Just for tonight. Here." He reached his hand out and gave me a twenty dollar bill along with the key card to room 11 and a plastic bag with something inside of it.

"Thank you." I let out. It felt weird.

"No problem. Glad I could help." He smiled at me.

I grabbed the handle to the door and opened it. I jumped out of the truck and waved to Sean as he drove off.

Clearing my throat I headed into the small motel. I've only been to one of these when out on a hunt. Usually on high alert. I guess in a way I still am. I made it to room 11 and slide the card in the door handle to let me in. I sat the key card and money on the table and looked into the plastic bag.

I rolled my eyes at the product inside. A first aid kit. The reasonable part of my brain was glad I was picked up along the way. The not so reasonable part was angry that I let him go alive. He saw my face, heard my voice. What if he goes to the police? Is there a reason for him to? I'm just some random guy he picked up along his drive. A random guy on a back road with a gun shot wound.

It'll be fine, Cole. I was talking to myself.

I went into the bathroom and un zipped the first aid kit and grabbed the necessary items to help heal me. I looked for an exit hole. There was one. I grit my teeth and yelp in pain just a little as I disinfected and bandaged myself up.

After I'm done I sit on the bed and turn on the tv. I grabbed the phone book from the side table and began looking for places to call for food.

I wasn't aware of what was on the tv but it started to beep.

*THIS JUST IN.. BREAKING NEWS*

The tv started shouting. Red letters crossed the bottom of screen and suddenly I knew I was watched the news.

THE LOCAL POLICE STATION WAS JUST OVER TAKEN. ONE GUY WITH A MACHINE GUN CAME IN AND SHOT UN SUSPECTING OFFICERS AND BROKE OUT ONE OF THE KIDNAPPERS ARRESTED EARLIER TODAY. IT IS BELIEVED THE BE ONE OF THE KIDNAPPERS.

Footage of the event was shown. I sat on the edge of the bed now. The gunman broke out a smaller dude. He didn't wear a mask. They both looked at the camera and gave it the finger.

It was Zac and Alec. It was at this moment I knew what my plan was now. I need to kill Zac and Alec.

A/N Hello! I know it's been a long while since I last updated. Don't worry, it's over now. I'm going to update Mon, Wed, Fri. Truth be told Jan/Feb was horrible for me! I had zero time and zero happiness. Things are looking up though so I'll have time to write again. Thank you for reading and sticking around!! <3