Chapter 42

I slowed my breathing and made sure not to make too much noise.

Could someone be here with me? Could it be Cole?

I reached my hand out to the scarf and pulled it to my face. It smelled like him. I slowly sat up and scanned the room with my eyes. It wasn't dark enough for someone to hide in the shadows so I didn't feel immediately threated as I couldn't see anyone in the room with me.

I stood up and made my way to the living room in the apartment. No one was here.

COLE'S POV (he's alive ahhh)

"Well what do you want me to do? You two are something else doing what you did tonight! Do you want to die? It seems like you have a death wish, both of you!" Mark was very angry at Emily and I for coming to the state fair alone and having him come out to save us.

Did he save us? Not really. I had been shot and was bleeding out pretty quickly. I brought Emily back in time for Mark to protect her after I was gone.

I didn't want to go, but I knew if Emily had any chance of surviving this I would have to die. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise that I've been shot.

"Drive." Emily said with the undertone of fear in her voice.

I tried to look where she was to see what was going on. A car sat in front of ours, their headlights on. It was running but no one was getting out.

It was them, wasn't it?

I felt my body give away. I couldn't control my shaking. My chest hurt a thousand times over and Emily was screaming. My body was going into shock and there was nothing I could do about it.

//

"I just don't understand why you didn't take her!" A deep voice was shouting.

It sounded close by.

"It's been weeks, man! You said this would be over a LONG time ago! Pay us, we're done." Another male voice was yelling.

"I didn't know it'd end up like this. It's almost over. Give me another month, tops!" An even angrier voice took over the conversation. It sounded familiar.

I listened for a little bit longer but the men had stopped talking. I took a deep breath ready to try and open my eyes. I noticed it smelled like pine. I tried to push myself to sit up but realized my arms and legs have been bound to something. I was laying on a bed?

I quickly opened my eyes. I was in a very small room with just a bed and a table that had a bottle of water sitting on it.

My hands were very much tied to the bed post and my feet the same. I was wearing the same clothes I'd been shot in but my wound....was bandaged.

Just then the door to this room opened and a small female walked in. Her eyes bugged from her head and she almost dropped the tray with what looked like medical supplies on it.

"He's awake!" She yelped down the hallway right outside of the room.

She locked eyes with me while she carefully set down the tray on the table with the water.

After she left the door remanded open.

A tall, blonde haired, very unfortunately familiar face walked through.

Zac.

"Finally." He huffed as he shut the door.

I had to clear my throat to try and sound intimidating. "Untie me, Zac."

"Maybe." He smirked. "How do you feel?"

I didn't answer. I was dumbfounded. Nothing about him has changed. He looks the same, sounds the same, acts the same. How had he managed to pull one over on me? I know him better than anyone and yet he still got me in the end.