Chapter 26

Cole and I decided to head back to his apartment after getting breakfast at the mall.

"Emily.." Cole trailed off after we entered his place.

I turned to see his face in panic. "Yeah?" I could hear the fear in my own voice.

What was wrong?

"Someone's been here." Cole put his hand up to tell me to stay put.

He went into his bedroom.

How could he tell someone had been here?

I looked around the kitchen and living room. Everything was just how we left it as far as I could tell.

"Cole?" I called out.

No response.

Shit.

I battled with myself on whether or not I should go into the bedroom with Cole.

Suddenly a loud thump filled the air.

I gasped and hid out of sight. What was that?

It kept repeating in an odd pattern.

There was the loud sound then complete silence, and then heavy breathing.

Grow up. I told myself.

I marched myself from my hiding spot and down the short hallway on my way to the bedroom.

COLE'S POV

Emily and I made our way back to my place. It was nice getting to forget about things for a while. That was over now and it was back to figuring out our plan for Friday night.

If we showed up and it was Emma, I'd make sure to do whatever it took to make her keep her mouth shut about Emily. If it is Zac or Alec..I'll kill them.

How was I going to do it? A gun? Did I want to immobilize them and then make it slow and painful?

I opened my apartment door and let Emily walk inside first. My eyes followed her before my body. Emily was confident when she walked. I liked that.

I noticed when I got inside something felt off. I checked every inch with my vision to make sure I wasn't just being silly before I made a scene. I saw it.

My bedroom door was closed. It was open when we left.

Someone had been here. Or worse. Someone was still here...

"Someone's been here." I kept my head facing my bedroom and put my hand up to tell Emily to stay here.

She didn't need to follow me.

I walked towards the short hallway that would lead me to my bedroom.

The closer I got the more I started cursing under my breath. I left my gun here. I was walking into this dangerous situation without something to protect me.

My chest felt heavy along with my feet. My head felt dizzy along with my stomach.

I put my hand on the knob and twisted it slowly before fully opening the door. I walked into my room. Immediately on the floor I saw all of Emily's belongings sprawled and either torn up or tampered with.

The bed was unmade and the lamp on it's side with a broken bulb.

My eyes kept scanning the room.

My ears picked up a sound..a gun cocking.

I turned towards the noise.

In the corner on my room a figure appeared. How did I not see it before!?