Chapter 9

Emily's POV

School was the last thing on my mind yet here I was awake 10 minutes before my alarm went off to get up and go. Yesterday was boring to say the least. I wish today was the same.

When I left school yesterday Cole was ready to pick me up and dropped me off like I asked him to. He didn't force me to speak or even look at him. I didn't get any texts or calls from him either. It's like he knew to leave me alone. Only if that was still in his mind today.

It is Wednesday. Cole gets to follow me around my classes all day and "help" me throughout them. For college purposes of course. In his mind I'm sure it was more than that.

The 10 minutes did not go by slow enough. It was one deep breathe and the alarm pushed me out of bed.

"I'll be waiting." I looked at the "burner" phone Cole gave me.

He was already here. Eager much? What exactly was his problem?

Was he obsessed with me? Obsessed with my kindness? I had to hold my chuckles in. I was not kind to Cole. If anything he hates my attitude. Part of me wondered if he had a secret God complex. Did he not feel like he was finished with me? I recall him being in the business of breaking girls and killing them after. Was he here to finished what he started?

He once told me I reminded him of his mother. Was this a mommy issue? I cringed at the thought. I'd rather have him kill me than call me mommy.

I reluctantly got ready and walked out the front door seeing Cole's running car with the window down waving hello to me. I nodded so I didn't have to waste the energy lifting my hand for him.

"Morning." He said as I sat down.

This is what it was going to be like from now on.

"Morning." I replied re calling the anger that possessed from yesterday when I ignored his good morning.

The ride was silent. I'm sure it wouldn't be like this for long. He'd make me talk. This was a grace period. It was only a matter of time before his moody mind struck.

Cole's POV

When we arrived at school Emily's hands were shaking ever so slightly. Was she nervous?

I was. My hands were steady though. No need to make her more nervous by showing that I was feeling the same.

It was a weird feeling. Not the normal nerves you get before you take someone and bring them back to your cabin in the woods or are about to throw a punch to punish someone for talking back. Emily made me feel a different nervous. A tight feeling. A strong pulling in my stomach. Like something was trying to fly out of it.

She was starring into space. She didn't even notice me getting out of the car. I walked over to her side and opened her door.

"Oh shit!" She cursed.

Her backpack fell to the ground with her almost following it. She caught herself.

"I didn't realize you had gotten out." She made brief eye contact while allowing me to grab her hand to help her.

It was warm.

"It's okay. I don't mind opening your door." I was walking behind her.

She lead the way to her first class. There was an empty seat next to hers. I had to sit between Emily and my other "partner" Emma.

The only downside to this whole operation was not getting me alone with Emily I had to share her with another girl. An annoying bitch. She reminded me a lot of Jenny - Zac's last girl he had before everything went to shit. I hated that one.

In front of Zac she'd play along but when everyone left and the cameras kept rolling we'd hear how she really felt. Zac's fist made her understand the fault in her words. I wanted to show the same power to Emma. It took everything in me to remind myself that I was not that person anymore and that I was here for Emily and myself - not for some rich bitch who clearly only cared that I was her ticket to get into college because she was never going to be smart enough on her own.

"Good morning, Sean." Speak of the devil. Emma greeted me with a big grin.

I sat in between them. Emily began writing in her journal. Probably more ideas for her project. Emma looked lost.

"Are you going to get started?" I asked her.

"You still haven't come up with an idea for me." she shrugged.

She had to be kidding.

"Good morning!" The teacher walked in and everyone in unison called back.

"Glad to see everyone found their partners again. It's quite a full classroom so I won't take up too much of your time. Start working on your project, remember you have the rest of April and then May to complete it. That's 5 weeks. Get to it." He nodded to everyone and began typing on his laptop.

Everyone started to talk to each other. They talked about anything and everything other than their own projects. Not much about the actual task at hand. Emily continued to write in her book. She is the only one doing what she is suppose to do.

"Do you need any help?" I asked her quietly.

Emily's POV

"Do you need any help?" Cole in a soft voice asked a question. I didn't get the chance to answer before Emma spoke up clearly mad.

"Oh please, she never needs help. She always does what she's told. Like the perfect litle angel she is." She was mocking me.

I looked up from my notebook and at her.

I processed what she said to me. "Like the perfect litle angel she is."

My neck felt hot. I remembered the word that use to hang around me. Angel.

The necklace my friends and sister gave me on the day I was taken. My birthday. It was gone now. I wasn't aloud to bring anything personal with me. Only the clothes on my back - the necklace was given to my foster mom back in Utah. If she's even still there.

I kept the outfit I was wearing. It included Cole's red scarf. I wondered if he had seen it when he was snooping around.

Cole noticed my blank expression. He probably connected the dots.

"Shut up, Emma." He snapped at her.

Her jaw dropped.

"I don't need any help." It was ironic that I sounded helpless as I said it.

He starred at me while I started to write my outline again.

"Great, well I do!" Emma grabbed Cole's arm and turned him towards her.

I gave a quick look. Her arm wrapped around his and she looked at him thirsty for him to give her attention.

"Actually I do need help!" I couldn't help but word vomit.

Cole didn't hesitate to turn back towards me.

"Anything." He was holding back a smirk.

My heart beat fast. The hot feeling from my neck transferred to my cheeks. I was feeling strange.

Was I getting sick? What was this feeling? I couldn't place a word to it but there was definitely something wrong with me.

A/N Good morning/afternoon/night whenever you're reading this! I hope everyone is safe with what's going on. Everything in my area is currently shut down. It's scary but I'm doing my best not to let my anxiety take over. How are you doing? Thank you for reading, hope you enjoyed! ❤️