Chapter 38

"School starts in two weeks." My therapist, Dr.Bill reminded me that August was half way over.

We are on my mandated therapy call. It was being recorded for the purpose of my "case".

It didn't feel right. Our conversations weren't being listened to when I went to him in person. Now that I'm on lock down and not even by the FBI, but by Mark, calling Dr.Bill is my only option. I just need to be careful on what I actually say.

"I know." I told him.

"What have you done to prepare?"

I rolled my eyes. Good thing he couldn't actually see me.

"I have my books, some new clothes, and Mark says he's going to take me in the mornings." I lied to him.

The truth is I was hoping all of this would be over before school started again. It was going to be my senior year but did I really need to go? I didn't want to.

"And you're doing okay with the nightmares?" He asked me.

My mind took me out of reality and placed me in a cool breeze with snow under me. I felt fire and looked up to see the cabin I was held in..burning.

"Madison?" I heard my fake name being called.

"Sorry." I told Dr.Bill "I was processing the question." I told him. "Yes, I've been fine. I don't really have them anymore." I lied about this too.

At this point we've been talking for 30 minutes. "Well then. I believe that is our time." I could hear his fake smile.

The call ended and I came out of the guest room. This is where I took my calls now that Cole stayed in my room with me.

Mark was finally back at work. He's told us that Helen is not. She is taking more time than him, understandably.

"So are you ready for tonight?" Cole took his finger and lifted up my chin so I could look him in the eyes as I entered my room.

I nodded.

It was the annual Texas State Fair. This is where Cole thought would be the most public and therefore the best place to lure Zac and his buddies.

He's told me the plan over 10 times just to calm me down. I wasn't afraid for myself or even for Cole, I was thinking about everyone who was sure to get in the way. The innocents who could be killed because of our own selfish actions to try and take him on ourselves.

"Do you want to hear it again?" Cole asked me when he realized I was in my own head physicking myself out for the 3rd or 4th time today.

"Yes." I squeaked.

Cole sat me down on my bed and put my head to rest on his shoulder.

"We're going to get there while it's still light out, I'll call Mark when we arrive and break the news that we're going ahead with our own plan. He'll start driving immediately which will give us about 30 minutes to stall Zac if he's there. We know he followed us the firework show and waited a good amount of time before striking. We don't know if he'll wait that long this time." Cole sighed.

That was the depressing part about all of this. Zac was predicable but so far he's already done so many things Cole and I never thought he would do. Maybe he'll surprise us this time too.

"Once we get a glimpse of Zac or one of his friends..." Cole continued.

"We run away to an a tent and tell the people inside to leave if they haven't. We wait there for Zac to show himself and you take your shot...if you have one." I finished for him.