Chapter 29

Cold air brushed against my cheek as tears fell to the ground. My hands were shaking but I couldn't see them. My eyes focused on the house that was before me. The cabin.

No one was around. I was alone. I felt it. All of the trees were closing in on me. I was going to get suffocated by them if I didn't go into the house. So I ran. My feet felt heavy as they hit the wooden stairs and my arms banged into the knob when I turned it open the door.

I took in this space slowly. The kitchen to my right, the living room in front of me. Hallways on both sides leading to bedrooms, a basement, and the upstairs. The only things left in here was the ugly orange couch. Of course it stayed.

I sat on it catching my breath. Why was I breathing so hard?

The room went black and something pushed me to the floor. A hand gripped my neck pulled me up, another hand came from nowhere at hit me back down. I looked up to see my abuser, Zac. His eyes were missing. Nothing filled the void of them.

You know that saying the way to the soul is through the eyes? I guess he doesn't have one.

I could sense him yelling but I couldn't hear him. Come to think of it I couldn't hear anything. I yelled but nothing came out.

I kept trying. One scream after another but no sound. Zac stood in the same stance waiting for me to move. I didn't.

Something caught my eye behind him. It moved quick and up to his legs. It was a wolf. It sat down and lifted up its chin to howl at the night sky.

I saw the moon and the stars light up the night time. When did I get outside? I just realized I could hear the dog howl.

I stood up and backed away slowly from the beast but stumbled backwards as I noticed I was treading through 11 inches of snow. The harder my heart beat the more air I could see come from my mouth as I started to breathe deeper.

I looked hard at the wolf. It didn't move. It was looking at me. Why?

It laid down and rolled over to submission. That's weird.

I heard running footsteps from behind me and turned my head to see something dressed head to toe to combat this weather. Long hair came from their hoodie. It was a female.

She ran to the wolf and started beating it with a bat that appeared out of no where.

"No!" I screamed.

The girl turned to me. Her face was covered in blood but I could tell who it was.

Katie.

Her lips moved but my ears shut off.

What was she say?

I swallowed and closed my eyes. When I opened them I was laying in a bed.

I sat up. My head was plastered in sweat and my body cold despite being under a few blankets.

I was awake now. That was a nightmare. I woke up to one too.

"Cole?" I asked aloud remembering where I was.

Cole kidnapped me and brought me back to hell.

Where was he?

I stood up from the bed and looked around. Everything was just how I left it. I was standing in the middle of the bedroom I was held in. I checked the walk in closet. All clothes were gone. I checked the bathroom and behind the mirror that was removable. Nothing was in the hiding place.

My head was dizzy but I pressed on. I steadied my heart and checked to see if the door was unlocked. It was. I walked out of the bedroom and explored the hallway before heading downstairs. It was not winter. I could make a run for it and try to find the keys to Cole's car and drive myself out of here.