Chapter 34

The sun was shining so bright I almost thought things were okay. Cole sat on the front porch on a hanging swing Mark recently installed. He was angry with me so he went outside to get some air.

It was June 30th. One month since Cole had been staying with us.

This time he was upset with me because I hid my phone from him, the one he gave me.

Zac has been quiet these past 30 days. A little too quiet for Cole's comfort.

He's talked about wanting to text the number Zac texted from a while ago. The case has gone cold for Mark as well. Alec's body has not be recovered anywhere. Not as a John doe, nothing.

Is he even dead? I don't know. It's been getting to both of them. It seems like I'm the only calm one.

Mark's been working on the case until 1-2am most nights after getting home from a full day of his actual work where he is partners with the women divorcing him and who is carrying his baby.

Cole's been shut in this house under lock down because Mark doesn't completely trust him. Mark says if Cole is on our side he'll play by his rules until he can trust him.

Needless to say Cole isn't happy, Mark isn't happy, and I'm stuck in the middle of their alpha bro moments.

June 1st to the 15th Cole and I worked relentlessly on figuring out Zac's plan. We stayed up the first few nights thinking he'd come to the house and finish the job.

I told Cole if he was too much of a pussy to show his face at the school he wouldn't show up here.

Our idea is that Zac was in the van that disappeared, but before he made it out he shot Emma to frame Cole and took Alec's body.

But who knows? Maybe we're wrong. Will we ever find out? I hope so, it's driving Cole to the edge.

After we exhausted ourselves Cole and I decided to sneak out. We just wanted to get some air and food. I'm not sure what Mark thought we were doing, but It didn't go well.

--------

"He's going to hear us." I whispered on our way out.

Cole covered my mouth as we reached the living room after coming down the stairs.

"He will if you keep talking." Cole tip toed to the front door. I followed behind him.

I put in the code for the house alarm so it wouldn't ring once we opened the front door.

Before we could even touch the knob the living room lights turned on.

"And where do we think we're going?" Mark sat in a chair and starred us down.

Cole sighed and thew his hands in the air. I felt sorry for him. He spent his whole life in one house and hardly ever left. I'm sure this was triggering him in some way.

"We wanted to get food." I didn't look Mark in the eyes.

"There is food here. No one leaves until I know I can trust you with him." Mark stood up and locked eyes with Cole.

"You can't keep me here." Cole reached for the door.

Mark pulled out his gun and pointed it at Cole. Without hesitation I stepped in front of Cole, not that I covered much of his body. It felt weird to want to protect Cole, but he's been doing it for me this whole time. I owe him something.

"Move, Madison." Mark still called me by that name.

"Emily." Cole huffed and pushed me out of the way.