Chapter 13

The cold cement made this walk worse than it needed to be. I wasn't smart in my shoe choice when I left my bedroom window.

I was in a hurry. I grabbed the closest pair to me at the time. I'm wearing a pair of vans. They are worn out, I'm talking the bottom of the shoe is disconnected from the top. These were the shoes I was wearing when I escaped from the cabin.

My pajamas were less than warm. I was wearing a very thin pair of plaid sweats and a plain black cami tank. I rubbed my arms and tried to walk faster to get the blood flowing to my body.

The weather has never been bad since living in Texas but truth be told it's made me a wimp every time the temp goes below 50. It was dark so my only warmth came from the street lights that lit my way to Maple Grove apartments.

It was 5 minutes by car, 15 if I walked, 10 if I ran. I was not going to run, Cole would just have to wait out the extra 5 minutes.

I steadied my breathing and tried to calm down a little. My mind was racing with thoughts about being followed. I'm crazy, I know it. It's a scary thought though, I'm in witness protection and here I am sneaking away to go make sure the reason why I'm in this mess is okay.

COLE'S POV

My hearing came back first. There was a lot of mumbling. My feeling came back next. Pain. A lot of that too. My head was understandably heavy and throbbing. My limbs felt tingly but not as much as my fingers did. They were cold and felt numb if I thought about it too hard.

My vision was the last thing to come back. I opened my eyes but everything was black.

"Sir, can you hear me?" A women's voice called to the right of me and something touched my shoulder.

I sat up.

"Sir, can you hear me?" She repeated.

I cleared my throat. "Yes."

I blinked and rubbed my eyes trying to get my sight to appear.

"What is your name?"

I turned to the lady even though I couldn't see where exactly she was.

"Cole." I said.

I swallowed. That isn't what I'm suppose to say. Shit.

"Cole?" She repeated.

"Cold. I'm cold." I tried to save myself. I'm not sure if she bought it considering I'm wearing a thick jacket covered in sweat from my nerves. "My name is Sean. I'm a college student at TSU."

My eyes began to shake, I could feel it. Blurry pictures began to arrive.

"Okay. I'll get you a blanket. You fell from the second story, Sean. You hit your head but I'm going to check you out and make sure you're okay."

I looked around trying to make out the blurry blobs that my eyes were seeing. Red and white lights. I was sitting in the back of an ambulance.

A blanket fell on top of me as the women from before stood in front of me. I set it to the side instead of wrapping it around me.

Her hand touched my face. I flinched.

"Easy." She laughed.

She shined a light into each eye which didn't help my blurry vision.

"Does you head hurt?" She clicked off her flashlight.

"Yeah." I sighed.

"Well your pupils are responding. You'll probably have a headache for a while but I think you're gonna be fine." I nodded letting her know I heard her.