Episode Two, Part 3:

S e r u m

I've got a secret for the mad: in a little bit of time, it won't hurt so bad. 
And I get that I don't get it, but you will burn right now, but then you won't regret it. 

Sol was at the back of camp, practising her shooting against a wooden target that she had hung up on the fences. 

As the bullets ran out, Sol turned around, chucking the weapon to the ground and searching for what else she could work on. Taking her by surprise, Elara was standing a few metres behind her, having watched her aim for several moments. 

"Elara!" Sol warned, softening slightly when she realized she wasn't a threat. "You shouldn't sneak up on people like that. Especially if they have a gun." 

"Sorry." Elara mumbled apologetically, glancing around at everything the Sovereign had scattered around: knives, swords, several different types of guns. It shouldn't have intimidated her, but it didn't. 

"What are you doing here?" As she spoke, Sol picked up a dry cloth, wiping it across her forehead to rid of her sweat. 

"I-I..." Elara was nervous to ask, looking around for a distraction - something she could bring up to avoid the question. 

"You're supposed to be resting." Sol pointed out, folding her arms as she released the cloth. "Do your brothers know that you're out here?" 

"I feel fine," Elara muttered, tired of everyone being so worried about her, even if they had every right to be; Elara wasn't fine at all. More than anything, she didn't her brothers to feel like they had to watch over her every move, or not leave without one of them staying behind with her. 

"Okay, but until everything's one hundred percent with you, you need to be careful-" 

"Nothing is ever going to be one hundred percent." Elara snapped, tired of everyone waiting for her to get better. "It's not going to be the same. I won't go back to normal." 

Sol tilted her head, trying to read what was between the lines. She knew if she asked Elara directly, then she would scare her off, and wouldn't be able to get to the root of her problems. 

"What are you doing down here, anyway?" The Sovereign asked. 

Elara didn't seem to recognise her tactics and was quick to discuss something else, even if she was somewhat afraid of rejection. 

"I want to be strong," Elara admitted, eyes finally flickering up to Sol. 

She was intrigued at what the younger girl had confessed, wondering what her statement was leading up to. She didn't answer, encouraging Elara to continue. 

"I'm so tired of everyone always having to save me. I want to save my own damn self once in a while. I want to know how how to fight." 

Sol smiled a little, confounded at what she had said. 

"You want me to teach you how to use all this stuff?" The Sovereign clarified, looking at everything around her. 

Elara nodded. 

"Why didn't you go to Bas or Kodiak and ask them to help you? Or even Wynn?" 

"Well, Bas just left camp with Dreea..." Elara mumbled as if that was the reason she hadn't asked him. "And... And I wanted it to be you." 

"Because you don't want Kodiak or your brothers to know..." Sol finished, searching Elara to see if she was right. 

Elara looked up, choking on her tongue, unable to say otherwise.