Episode Four, Part 4:

C h e c k m a t e

Thunder rumbling, castle crumbling. I am trying to hold on. 
God knows that I tried seeing the bright side, but I'm not blind anymore. 

Ares and Kodiak hurried Elara out of the room, for her own safety, as well as not wanting her to realize what she had done to Wynn. 

A part of him didn't want his sister to leave, but with the amount of pain he was in, he could barely hold his head upright. 

Sol came over to him, crouching opposite Wynn. 

"Aeryn's on her way. She'll be here any moment-" 

"No," Wynn groaned. "She needs to see if Ell's okay." 

"Fenn's checking on Elara. Worry about yourself for a minute. You're pretty beat up." Sol told him, trying to raise his spirits a little, but he was completely defeated. She sighed, resting her hand on his arm, hating seeing him in so much pain. 

"Wynn? Oh my gosh. What happened?" Aeryn queried, hurrying over to her friend's side. Quill moved out of the way, giving space for her to tend to his brother, keeping close in case it hurt. 

Wynn winced as Aeryn dabbed something cool against his skin, instinct making him move away. 

"I know it stings, but it'll be better if you get it over with." 

Wynn exhaled, nodding for her to continue, and tensed up as she treated him. Sol had moved away from him for a moment but had returned with something familiar to him. 

She held up the damp cloth for him to see, hoping he would see the irony in the situation. Wynn chuckled, breathing in sharply as Sol worked alongside Aeryn to get him patched up. 

"Most of the damage looks superficial," she explained, leaning back onto her knees. She frowned sympathetically. "How do you feel? Anything else I should know about?" 

Wynn sighed, rolling his head around and closing his eyes. 

"Can't I just see if Elara's okay?" 

"Not until I know you are," Aeryn hassled, unable to leave until he told her the truth that she knew he was hiding. 

"My ears are ringing, it's hard to see, and to point out the obvious, my head hurts." 

Aeryn smiled. "Still got your senes of humour, I can see." 

Wynn laughed but had to hold his breath as it hurt too much. 

"Is going to be okay?" Quill interrupted, nervously searching Aeryn for an answer. 

"I think he'll be just fine." She assured him, squeezing onto Quill's hand. She glanced back over at Wynn. 

"You have a concussion, and probably a lot of bruising to come, but as long as you take it easy, you'll heal up nice and quick. Stay here for a couple of minutes, though," she instructed him, "as I'm guessing you feel quite nauseous." 

Wynn nodded, grateful that she seemed to understand how he was feeling. He shifted to look at his brother. 

"Can you go see Elara for me? Tell her I'll be there soon?" 

Quill hesitated. "Ares and Kodiak are with her. I'll stay here with you until you're okay." 

"No," Wynn mumbled. "I'm-" he looked over at Sol, knowing he wasn't alone. 

"I'm fine. Really. She'll be tearing herself apart. Just go see her." 

Quill nodded, regretful to leave Wynnlow in such a state, but he knew he was right about their sister. He lingered for a moment, but then disappeared, leaving his brother behind.